WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 160 of 606 Posts

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
These adverts confirm your watches above, exact dates and publications shown in each one.

1903, New York.
This watch is very similar, but not identical, to the one shown above.

1903,dec. NYevening news..jpg

1907, Sydney, Australia.

1907 jan. sydney.jpg

1908, Brisbane, Australia.

1908 brisbabe.jpg

Reactions: Emre

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
What's wrong with you? Both watches - the one in the ring (1585) and the one in the emerald - are small enough to be worn on a wrist. Not like a super slim modern wristwatch, but nevertheless. And of course it doesn't mean that such small watches were actually used as a wristwatches, but they were small enough for the purpose.
OkapiOO1.
First try to be civil and polite. There is nothing wrong with me, so I add to my post "in my opinion"

Now can you please post for me a the earliest picture you can find of a bracelet wristwatch (mans or womans) prior to 1800.

That is all I am looking for, as I wonder for all these arguments and pictures of ring watches, pendant watches, why no one can post a picture of a bracelet watch?

Thanks your efforts
adam

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I thought we can put together the years, the makers to trace it further and dig in.I don't think that all makers were into writ-watches back then,so for the sake of having all under one topic :

These are all from the 'La Federation Horlogere Suisse ' :

2 Sept 1906
View attachment 1511593

2 Sept 1906
View attachment 1511594

3 Nov 1907
View attachment 1511595

1 Mar 1908
View attachment 1511596
Hi Emre
The 1906 advert I have.
I also have 1908 showing both mans and womans version.

I know that the first publication of this advert was 1904 ( I can not locate it yet) but do have the 1906 copy.

The earliest wristwatch (ladies) advert I have is 1892. (I already posted a picture as proof)
Can anyone get older than that?

Regards
adam

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 · (Edited)
Hi Emre
The 1906 advert I have.
I also have 1908 showing both mans and womans version.

I know that the first publication of this advert was 1904 ( I can not locate it yet) but do have the 1906 copy.

The earliest wristwatch (ladies) advert I have is 1892. (I already posted a picture as proof)
Can anyone get older than that?

Regards
adam

Again, from May, 1888, Lincoln, Nebraska.

At the bottom of the advert is a link address to the page this ad came from.

Both a Lady's bracelet watch and a man's leather wristlet watch, as can be seen from the difference in sizes.
As can also be seen from the link address, the source is impeccable.

I hope this helps.
Bob.

1888 may his&hers.jpg

Reactions: Emre

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Thanks Bob
I had missed that.
Yes now 1888 hold the record
Great stuff.
Thank You
adam

Reactions: Emre and bobbee

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Adam,I started thinking that British were more advanced in accepting timepieces on wrists.I've had a look to my 1904 entries and scanned also my Swiss references with no luck.It should be somewhere,but where?Maybe British chronicles could help further.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
https://journal.hautehorlogerie.org/en/article/origins-of-the-wristwatch-before-1900-1/
In his Histoire de Port Royal, Gazier notes that Pascal (1623-1662) wore his watch on his wrist. In May 1927, L'Horloger published a vintage engraving showing four horses drawing a chassis on wheels. One of the riders clearly has a watch attached to his sleeve. The scene recalls a wager thrown down by the Earl of March, future Marquess of Queensberry, for a four-wheeled carriage to travel 19 miles in an hour. An attempt was made on August 29th, 1750 and the distance covered in 53 minutes and 27 seconds. The 1772 Almanach du Dauphin makes reference to the bracelet-watches and ring-watches of a Parisian watchmaker on Rue de Buci. An entry in the ledgers of Jacquet-Droz et Leschot in Geneva for 1790 describes "a watch that can be set into a bracelet." While both private and museum collections include numerous ring-watches from various eras, the oldest-known surviving bracelet-watches date from the very early nineteenth century,

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
The design of the ladies watch is very similar to the one in your 1892 advert.

A bracelet watch identical to the one that eddywatch owns, this one from 1887, his own he believes to be circa 1890 as mentioned in another post:

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

A bracelet watch identical to the one that eddywatch owns, this one from 1887, his own he believes to be circa 1890 as mentioned in another post:

Hi
This is a pocket watch, set in an expandable bangle. I own 2 or 3 of these

Here is one example of mine: Fantastic piece!

Now based on this, I can probably demonstrate a ladies wristwatch from 1800, maybe earlier?

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
So you agree that they exist, but they were rare and not one survived to this date. Or perhaps, if the one I've just posted is indeed from 1790, at least one did survive;-)
I am not sure if they existed, I study Horology not clairvoyance.
What I feel is if they did exist it was not earlier than 1700.

I am very curious to know why:
1) None at all survive to-day
2) Breguet is clearly mentioned as making the first ladies wristwatch for Queen of Naples in 1810.

That said, I am sure ultra wealthy 'Queens' and 'Nobility' had the possibility to commission a piece of watch jewelry for their wrist.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts

Not all forums are open like WUS. Some require you to join before you can see their posts. This picture will not display for those of us who are not logged in members of the forum from which you linked it. So the vast majority of us can not see it.

(I think this is just one more reason WUS is vastly more popular than any other watch forum |> ... Thanks Ernie!)

Reactions: bobbee

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
What's wrong with you?...
This is what I would call a personal attacking response. It has no place on WUS. Please be more careful in your future postings.

As I have said before, we will not always agree. But we have no reason to be disagreeable. Being disagreeable shifts the focus from discussing, commenting, researching, and coming to consensus (if that is possible). It creates a corrosive atmosphere.

I realize it is common on Internet forums but WUS (and especially the Vintage Forum) tries to be different.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
The watch has two crowns and bows, just like the one in your 1892 ad, and the 1888 brcelet watch in the ad.
One crown/bow will be a dummy, added to affix to the bracelets, as shown.
Bob.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Very interesting collection of articles.

Reactions: bobbee
141 - 160 of 606 Posts