WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, folks.

As I mentioned in another recent thread, I asked my grandmother if he had ever had any watches. After the Second World War, he had spent some time working as a jeweler and I figured there might be a watch or two in his collection. After some digging, my grandma found some cool, old watches including a Gruen Veri-Thin, which was her very first Christmas present to him--engraved "12/25/'45." The watch doesn't seem to be working now, but I plan on having it fixed up after I learn a little more about it and find a watch maker I trust. At any rate, I figured I'd share the pics.

6487965799_c79ce26ea8_z.jpg

6487967511_0fa65a1c5c_z.jpg

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Very nice. Dial and case both look to be in good shape. Gruen watches of that period are very high quality. Parts are still pretty available. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like cleaned up.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
That is, indeed, very nice. Fingers crossed for a straightforward repair!:-!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Can you pop open the back and take a picture of the movement and what is written on the INSIDE of the back? I believe I can get more information for you.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a reference for removing this particular case back?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you pop open the back and take a picture of the movement and what is written on the INSIDE of the back? I believe I can get more information for you.
For what it' worth, it seemed as though you'd have to remove the dial to get at the movement. I didn't see any seams between the case back and the rest of the watch. Any more clues from that fact or further instructions?

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
It has a tab on the caseback. Pry it up with a dull knife.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I managed to get the case back open, but I don't see another tab inside.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
I managed to get the case back open, but I don't see another tab inside.

Pic?

Sent from SOL II Milky Way using ESP

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,638 Posts
For what it' worth, it seemed as though you'd have to remove the dial to get at the movement. I didn't see any seams between the case back and the rest of the watch. Any more clues from that fact or further instructions?
The dial and movement will lift out of the caseback. They can be a bit tight and you need to be careful not to bend the dial by prying too hard under it. You can normally get a start by lifting the crown while holding the caseback down. A bit of wiggling, a bit of gentle prying evenly all the way round with a dull case knife under the dial and it should come out. Slow and gently is the best way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts