WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a nice Baume & Mercier Capeland S XXL Diver, and one of the things that I have always liked about this watch are the Screw bars that secure the strap to the watch, because I think that they are more secure than springbars. Zulu straps make this bar system even more secure by making a complete loop through both bars but they are not as easy or convenient to put on or take off. So I have been thinking about a system to combine the security of the Zulu Strap and the convenience of a deployment buckle. I put together a first version using a Sinn deployment buckle the other day which is in my earlier post about this watch, but it was a 1 " wide strap which was a bit too wide for the watch.

Well today I got in some 22mm wide Zulu straps that I bought to cannibalize for this project because I could not find the 22mm / 7/8" wide gray webbing that I wanted elsewhere. Here are some pictures of the completed strap on my Capeland.

So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Very cool rig with the Sinn deployant. :-!

I'm not so sure about screw bars being better than spring bars though :think:. I've had two instances of screw bars working loose. Yes, this can be "fixed" with some thread lock, but that's a pain if you change straps much. <|

Spring bars have worked well for Rolex for man years. While not a fan, I have to respect their Diver legacy, so if spring bars work for Rolex, I'm ok with them. :-!

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
umm...sorry I was admiring that dial on the B&M...what was the question again?

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool rig with the Sinn deployant. :-!

I'm not so sure about screw bars being better than spring bars though :think:. I've had two instances of screw bars working loose. Yes, this can be "fixed" with some thread lock, but that's a pain if you change straps much. <|

Spring bars have worked well for Rolex for man years. While not a fan, I have to respect their Diver legacy, so if spring bars work for Rolex, I'm ok with them. :-!

I like spring bars as well and have 3 Rolexes. I especially like the drilled lugs with spring bars. I do use loc-tite on the threaded bars and when done properly they are very secure and I believe stronger.

The strap is adjustable at the buckle and it will work with sprinbar equipped watches as well.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

I pretty much guarantee I can pull a rubber strap clean off the watch without touching the springbars. A big wave can do the same thing as can wrestling/shrugging off diving gear. Of course you're safer with leather, Zulu/NATO and bracelet--anything that unlike rubber can't be compressed. (The only way to better secure rubber is to use a metal tube around the springbar or do what Nalu does, superglue it.)

Give me screwbars. There's no hierarchy of which strap/bracelet is strongest.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Vince, that is one cool strap! You should think of selling them and with the Sinn deployant, it would fit my Capeland perfectly. Great job!

paul:-!

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vince, that is one cool strap! You should think of selling them and with the Sinn deployant, it would fit my Capeland perfectly. Great job!

paul:-!
If I had a source for 22mm / 7/8" flat webbing other than cutting up Zulu straps I would consider putting them together. If anyone knows where to find it please let me know.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe a fabric store would sell the webbing material.
Some do sell webbing, but the problem is the size and the colors. Most watches use 20mm (approx. 3/4") wide straps which is not too hard to find but some use 22mm (approx. 7/8") wide which is pretty rare, then there are 24mm (approx. 1") which is pretty easy to find. Then it can be very difficult to find the color you want in a 22mm / 7/8". I wouldn't mind buying a roll of the stuff if I could find it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Some do sell webbing, but the problem is the size and the colors. Most watches use 20mm (approx. 3/4") wide straps which is not too hard to find but some use 22mm (approx. 7/8") wide which is pretty rare, then there are 24mm (approx. 1") which is pretty easy to find. Then it can be very difficult to find the color you want in a 22mm / 7/8". I wouldn't mind buying a roll of the stuff if I could find it.
Have you tried REI or any camping store that sells climbing equipment? When I worked at a mountain shop, we sold bulk nylon webbing in various thicknesses. Just an idea...

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you tried REI or any camping store that sells climbing equipment? When I worked at a mountain shop, we sold bulk nylon webbing in various thicknesses. Just an idea...
Funny you should mention it but, I actually work part time at REI. I did get some gray 3/4" and 1" flat webbing but the 7/8" - 22mm is the tough one to find. We have none at REI.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
As already mentioned you should seriously consider applying for a patent. It's a great idea, very simple and one of those "why didn't I think of that" ideas. Now that you've posted it publicly however it may be too late.

I'll take 2!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts