WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What watches did you take to Afghanistan Iraq or Kuwait etc.How did you use them how did they work.My initial plan was to take three, one tough solar( never have to worry about batteries) one dual Time( Time at home and my location) with alarm( Wakey wakey) and stopwatch ( I haven't come up with a ratiolaization for that)and one digital( beater for wear in a sandstorm ) .Am I being excessive?I may buy a three time zone dakota clip watch with alarm it is aluminium cased with a light.(How does aluminium react to copious amounts of sweat?) If I buy the Dakota I can probably get by with one other watch or maybe I don't even need another..If I don't buy the Dakota ,I can get by with the dual time with alarm and stop and a beater.What are your recommendations? :think:-------Please give a comprehensive answer.I really want the advice.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I wore a Rolex submariner date always. Never missed a beat. A few scratches, but nothing that cant be polished out when serviced. Not everyones choice, but it is one of the toughest watches out there, with a robust movement that can take a lot of abuse. I have it insured, so if it all goes wrong I can always get another.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
THANK YOU! Im showing your post to a friend of mine that cant understand that why I don't baby my watches. I don't have anything like a Rolex, but I have a SA Groudforce auto and a Nighthawk, and I wear them all the time. He doesn't believe me, that Rolex and Fortis, and Tag's and whatnot can be or 'should' be worn to actually work in. Im not necessarily suggesting heavy construction work or something, but really, this idea that watches are non-functional jewelry and only a plastic digital can hold up to real use is pretty preposterous. I just love the image of you trolling through the sand in a Rolex. Just what it was meant to do-and hey, you could always use it to bargain in a pinch.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I wore a Casio G-Shock in Iraq.
IMHO, it's really the only way to go.

And for what it's worth, I never saw any ground-pounder wearing a watch that cost more than a few hundred dollars max.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Last time, in Iraq, I wore a quartz Festina chronograph. I never used that watch as a stopwatch. I had a cheapie digital for that.

On this next trip, Afghanistan this time, as my everyday watch I plan to wear my Omega 2254.50 (on the PO style black rubber.) I will have another cheapie digital stopwatch for PT, a Suunto Observer on my web gear, and a GSAR in the footlocker as a backup. Part of it is that my Omega is the only gear I have that crosses from the civilian world to the military world. I like looking down and seeing it on my wrist, it's like a touchstone between both worlds. Part of it is that years from now I want to be able to look at it on my wrist and have some memories attached to it.

I don't try to tell myself that an auto is somehow better than a quartz watch. In fact I recommended a Casio Pathfinder to my son, a Marine heading off on his first combat tour soon. But he is an Infantryman and I'm an old motor sergeant. The Casio makes sense for him. Actually the Casio makes sense for me too, but what the hell, the Seamaster makes me happy. :-d

Bottom line, wear the watch that you are comfortable wearing in that environment. And bring a back up. Choosing gear is all part of the fun, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took a cheap old Armitron ana-digi with dual alarms and split timers.
One time zone for me...one time zone for the family back home and two alarms to remind me about briefing times.

Saw one of caffeinated's Suunto's (at the denver GTG) that he wears on his web gear...that thing is beat to hell and still tells time!!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
On a recent foray into Afghanistan, I took a Timex Expedition. I left my Omegas behind. There's just a lot out there to scratch up a watch. Putting on packs, body armor, etc., will cause your watch to get raked by straps if you're not careful. Then there is the dust--so much dust! My Expedition had a rubber strap, so I could take the watch into the shower and get it clean--it was easy to dry! I liked the Timex's luminosity at night, and the button that would power the Indiglo backlight if the lume was fading. The bezel was good at timing things . . . like how long since the last rocket hit!

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
I was TDY to the Coast Guard(PSU 303 out of ad-Dammam)from 08/90 thru 04/91(Desert Shield/Storm) performing hull inspections on detained ships & UEOD duties.The only watch I had at the time was one of the first Luminox Navy Seals.Tough little watch never let me down.If you're REALLY going to be "In The Sand"then I totaly agree with "neveronmonday" & go G-Shock.Summer sand storms are a BEEOTCH & that s*#t gets into EVERY nook & crannie of everything you are humping!You don't need to be worrying about your watch when you should be worrying about much more important matters.Good luck,EYES OPEN-BUTT DOWN!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
God bless and keep you all.I will not be going for Combat ops but I may see some of you when you leave.Please do not be cross I will be doing my job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
G-Shock. Meets all your requirements. If you want to get snazzy, get a Suunto. But seriously, things get trashed over there. And stolen. The dust gets into mechanisms, everything scratches everything else.

G-Shock.

It was one of the big moments of coming home when I put back on my real watch for the last flight back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ODS and several unnamed vet. I bought a $10 very basic Timex digital in boot back in 84. It had 24 hour format, stop watch and alarm. Got me through:

Boot
Jump school
Ranger School
SERE
SFQC
Deployed on 6 different continents shot at on 5.

Changed the battery once. Only thing that killed it was the ex wife putting it down a garbage disposal just to PMO.

·
Registered
195 Posts
ODS and several unnamed vet. I bought a $10 very basic Timex digital in boot back in 84. It had 24 hour format, stop watch and alarm. Got me through:

Boot
Jump school
Ranger School
SERE
SFQC
Deployed on 6 different continents shot at on 5.

Changed the battery once. Only thing that killed it was the ex wife putting it down a garbage disposal just to PMO.
damn, a little excessive. i guess thats why shes an ex.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
"Takes a licking and keeps on ticking" my butt!!! :-d

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
I wore a G-Shock the first time out here and it did really well. The only thing is that the band on it started to get cracks it in from being in the sun too much. Of course I don't have a desk job because I am a cable dawg. Now I am wearing my Marcello C Tridente and it has put up with everythign I have thrown at it. Now you have to understand alot of my work is in manholes and other odd places in the Green Zone/Red Zone. No desk jockey here. Be safe and good luck. If you come out to the IZ send me a PM and I can see if I can answer any questions you have. Terry

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha, I laugh at You! you ended up taking Four watches an old small seiko sport watch wr to 15 atmosphres a G shock a retro styled Ironman( with indiglo but looks old) on a generic fast wrap strap ans a Timberland ss ani diga watch with dual time stopwatch alarm and indiglo.Your only in Va and you have four watches.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Care to elaborate a bit, dear James?
Your post is not easy to understand!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Afghanistan 2003 G-Shock Solar MTG910 of course no update signal in that neck of the woods, but no worries.
Draw back is no countdown timer on this model.

Iraq 2006-07 Breitling B1, G-Shock MTG910, Yes Zulu

If you only want to take 1 watch, then make it a G-Shock!!!!

The real question is what type of mission will you perform? Are you going outside the wire on a daily basis, etc?

I will probably only take 2 watches to Afghanistan on the next rotation; Yes Zulu and my new G-Shock GW2500B

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wore a Casio G-Shock in Iraq.
IMHO, it's really the only way to go.

And for what it's worth, I never saw any ground-pounder wearing a watch that cost more than a few hundred dollars max.
Same here. It lasted the whole 14 months...
Although I wore my Expedition in Afghanistan...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Didn't realize that there were so many forum members here that deployed! I am proud of you all!!

I always have visions of a preponderance of slightly dweebish old men with too much money and too much time on their hands on the watch forums.

When I was in the Air Force, Carter was president, there were still a number of former Vietnam POWs running around active duty, I listened to Disco, and only wore a gold chain. Now I am slightly dweebish, and have too much money and time on my hands! Ha!

-T

1 - 20 of 33 Posts