1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the look of it. It reminds me of the Khaki King, which seems to be popular among owners.

I don't know which brand is supposed to be better than the other. They seem to priced similarly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you say, that what kind of reputation Vic.. Swiss Army has as a "watchbrand"? Is it appreciated among watchcollectors? Swiss Army is quite unfamiliar brand for me.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Can you say, that what kind of reputation Vic.. Swiss Army has as a "watchbrand"? Is it appreciated among watchcollectors? Swiss Army is quite unfamiliar brand for me.
Swiss Army is also known as Victorinox...a very respectable [if not flashy] traditional Swiss watchmaking company. They specialize in sport and service-grade watches much like the lower end Hamilton watches. I would say that the Hamiltons might be a little more highly finished, but in terms of overall quality they are at par.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Actually Victorinox (like Wenger, which has now been acquired by Victorinox) are the original makers of the Swiss Army knife and they only later branched out into watches. ;-)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got my wife the blue-faced women's Ambassador (like the men's but no day complication, and smaller of course). Very nice watch, she loves it, and it got seriously considering the men's version.

My first "real" watch was a Victorinox Cavalry (I think) quartz, and then the first nice watch I bought myself was a Victorinox Officer--wore it constantly for 5 years until I started collecting watches. I would definitely get another VSA watch, absolutely no reservations about them. I think they have a great variety of dial colors and designs and I like that almost all their watches have all the numbers on the dials for great legibility.

And as far as I know there really aren't too many counterfeit ones floating around in the world (since they're so affordable anyway) so you can look all around for great deals (new, used, gray market, ebay, etc)

·
Banned
159 Posts
Beautiful timepiece. I love the blue dial with stainless numbering system. And the band is awesome.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am happy with it so far. I think its face is beautiful, too.
Mine says hi! I saw it for sale for $225 too -- what a steal for an ETA 2892 movement, 100m WR, and solid bracelet and end-links. The quality is worth so much more. Unfortunately I purchased mine a while ago before the price was this cheap, so I paid a higher price, but still it's worth every penny!

phpA5PrdpPM.jpg
phpxFGwSdPM.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
So after having the watch for about two months, I still like it, but I have had to catch it up to the current time twice. It seems to run a couple of minutes slow over a period of about thirty days. Is this a known quality of all mechanical watches (this is my first) or just this one?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
So after having the watch for about two months, I still like it, but I have had to catch it up to the current time twice. It seems to run a couple of minutes slow over a period of about thirty days. Is this a known quality of all mechanical watches (this is my first) or just this one?
If your watch is slow two minutes a month (-4 sec/day) it is totally acceptable for mechanical/automatic. I personally don't like any of my watches running slow. I prefer if they run fast. You can have it regulated by a watchmaker or do it yourself, if you feel confident.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, an update on my Victorinox Swiss Army Ladies' Ambassador V251075, bought in late 2013. It stopped completely in July of 2016 and I took it to a watch repair shop. The shopkeeper told me that, as an automatic, the watch must be serviced every three to five years, which meant cleaning and oiling it. It was $400 (I tried a jewelry shop too, and they quoted me $500). I got the watch back and it seemed to be running fine, but then after getting it wet under some hot water (not boiling, but hot water out of the tap), it started running very fast, and I could see moisture under the crystal. I took it back to the repair shop and he dried it and water-tested it, and said it was water-tight. The watch stopped again in March 2017 and I could see water under the crystal. Again, I think this happened when I had my hands in some hot water.

I am about fed up with this watch. I bought it because I wanted a quality timepiece that would stand up to heavy wear, but it seems to me that there is a seal that opens when the watch is exposed to hot water. The repair shop guy keeps telling me that the watch is water-tight, but I don't think he is testing it in warm or hot water--when I ask him, he starts talking about condensation showing up inside the watch when it is moved from warm temperatures to cold, but I don't think that's what's happening. Would Victorinox do anything? I am ready to sell this thing on eBay and be done with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New update: I picked up the supposedly fixed watch from the watch repair shop on June 7 or 8, 2017. The repairman told me had water tested it thoroughly and that it was keeping perfect time. I also emailed Victorinox about this time and they told me to ship it to them if I experienced any more problems with it.

On June 19, 2017, I was wearing the watch while at work and was inside and outside during thunderstorms. The watch didn't get soaked but it was exposed to the rain and I was going inside (probably 70 degrees Fahrenheit or cooler) and outside (80-90 degrees) constantly during my shift. At about 9:00 p.m. I looked at the watch and saw tiny droplets of water clinging to the underside of the crystal, but the watch seemed to be running fine.

On June 20, 2017, I was wearing the watch again (no rain that day) at work and I realized it had stopped at about 9:50 p.m., when the actual time was 10:10 p.m. I shook it and it started up again. I did not observe any moisture inside. I took it off when I got home and put it on my desk to remind me to ship it to Victorinox in the morning.

June 21, 2017: Packed watch up and mailed it to Victorinox. Watch appeared to be about 10 hours behind time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
July update: I got the watch back on July 11--very quick turnaround from Victorinox compared to what I had been experiencing with the repair shop here in town. Victorinox charged me $214.54 and replaced the dial, and sent me a little booklet with the following things checked off that they had done: Preliminary Operations (general visual inspection, bracelet removal and case opening, general diagnosis, estimate calculation); Case and Bracelet Maintenance (complete case dismantling, case and bracelet cleaning, replacement of the gaskets, crown replacement); Movement Maintenance (hands and dial dismantling, dismantling of the movement and cleaning of the components, replacements of the worn components, assembly and lubrication of the movement components, assembly and locking of the case, mounting of the strap/bracelet); Quality Control (water-resistance control, control of the functions of the movement, final esthetic inspection).

When I talked to them on the phone about the estimate (I had to call and give my credit card number) I was told that they were replacing the crown, gaskets, and hands, but those things weren't mentioned in the little booklet. Whatever they did, it was about half of what the guy in my town charged me, and he didn't even replace any parts.

So far I have not seen any moisture, but I haven't really tested it out in rain (no rain here for a couple of weeks), only in normal handwashing.

I have learned from this to ALWAYS CHECK WITH THE MANUFACTURER FIRST for anything more than a simple battery replacement. I feel like I flushed $400 on the watch repairman in my town who spent the better part of a year fooling with this watch and always insisted that nothing was wrong with it, and never found or fixed the problem of moisture getting into it. I will send the watch back to Victorinox when it needs its next regular service in 5 or so years. Expensive lesson learned.
$214.54
$214.54

·
Registered
11 Posts
I want to sell my Swiss Army Ladies Ambassador V251075. I have sent it to Victorinox a couple of times in the last year for service because it is not keeping good time. They said they can't find anything wrong with it except it was "magnetized" when they got it. They suggested this might be because I am a nurse and wear the watch at the hospital around lots of electronic machines. Whatever the reason, it won't keep good time for me and I am tired of looking down and seeing that it has stopped. I will sell it for $225, what I paid for it, even though I have spent around $1000 total on this watch over the years (purchase and service/repairs). email me at elanirlandais AT gmail DOT com if interested. I have the original proof of purchase and repair records.

·
Registered
19,860 Posts
I want to sell my Swiss Army Ladies Ambassador V251075. I have sent it to Victorinox a couple of times in the last year for service because it is not keeping good time. They said they can't find anything wrong with it except it was "magnetized" when they got it. They suggested this might be because I am a nurse and wear the watch at the hospital around lots of electronic machines. Whatever the reason, it won't keep good time for me and I am tired of looking down and seeing that it has stopped. I will sell it for $225, what I paid for it, even though I have spent around $1000 total on this watch over the years (purchase and service/repairs). email me at elanirlandais AT gmail DOT com if interested. I have the original proof of purchase and repair records.
You can post it in the Sales corner, maybe someone will be interested.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts