WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Give me your opinion. I am more fond of manual wind watches since they are easier to maintain. One wind per day and they are good to go. I am not a watch winder guy, and resetting autos is sometimes tedious. So, I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a Victorinox Swiss Army Alliance Mechanical model 241714 for daily wear. If I do this, I will sell my Hamilton Khaki Field Auto since I don't like to have watches just sitting around. I already own a Hamilton Khaki Mechanical (manual wind) that I use as my weekend beater and I love it.

I have read a little about the Victorinox, but I really don't know much about the brand. I hear it is a good watch. Is it? Talk me in, our out of what I am about to do. Your learned opinion will be appreciated!

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
Is that a new model? That bezel is different.

Either way, I enjoy mine and it's definitely a keeper. I would definitely tell anybody on any day of the week to consider this watch if it appeals to them. But I don't know about selling a Hamilton for one. I have not owned or handled a Hamilton, but they definitely do get high praise. I would imagine you wouldn't be disappointed or blown away going from a Hamilton to this VSA - it would probably be a very equal and parallel watch. If you want to get some variety, it would be a very solid choice for that.

One consideration to take into account would be the hit you take on depreciation when selling your Hamilton. If you feel it is worth it, I doubt you would regret it. If you get hung up on depreciation, you probably will regret and end up resenting the watch.

But, here's my white (cream) dial…

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Can`t speak for that particular model but I do own an Victorinox INOX and I love it plus I plan on getting the Victorinox Maverick I think they are underrated watches so I say go for it.

Attachments

Reactions: omeglycine

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get what you are saying. On another thread here 111 people voted on Hamilton vs Victorinox and 59.46% preferred Hamilton, while 18.02% preferred Victorinox. However, when you factor in the other 18.02% that liked them both equally, the gap between Hamilton and Victorinox closed to only just over 23% that truly preferred the Hamilton. A non-scientific way, to be sure, of saying that the two brands are close indeed. That thread was in 2008, and many new models have been introduced since then. I wonder how it would play out today?

The Victorinox Alliance 241714 that I am considering uses an ETA 2824-2 movement, which is the same movement used in the Hamilton Khaki Field. The only difference between these two, outside of aesthetics, is that the Victorinox is a hand wind and the Khaki Field is an auto.

Interestingly, the Victorinox is a bit more expensive that then Hamilton. I am swayed by the Victorinox hand wind because as I said... I prefer hand winds. However, I would still like to hear the opinions of others. Buy the Victorinox and sell the Hamilton, or skip the Victorinox and keep the Hamilton?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I...The Victorinox Alliance 241714 that I am considering uses an ETA 2824-2 movement, which is the same movement used in the Hamilton Khaki Field. The only difference between these two, outside of aesthetics, is that the Victorinox is a hand wind and the Khaki Field is an auto. ...
If they both use the same movement, how can one be hand-wind and the other auto? They both use the 2824 which as you say is auto, which can be hand wound. I think you're confusing the two terms. I wouldn't recommend hand-winding an auto regularly, especially not the 2824.

The Victorinox, while I can see the appeal is way overpriced for a bog standard ETA 2824. I think they're having a laugh with the pricing.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I believe you have your facts confused. The Victorinox that you're looking at is an automatic. You can hand-wind it, too, but like most autos it really isn't intended to be hand-wound every day.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I own VSA and Hamilton. They're close, but I prefer VSA because they look and feel more rugged. The Alliance is very nice looking and I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I were in your shoes.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It has 'AUTOMATIC' printed right on the dial. And other sources verify that it's an automatic watch. So yes, it appears that Joma is incorrect.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm not saying that Victorinox don't make some good looking watches because there are some nice ones in their range - BUT to me they will always be a fashion brand as, in addition to the knives and cutlery, they are also "making" clothing, luggage and perfume! (Swiss Army Fragrance for Men .................... Seriously?)

Watches didn't appear till 1989 I believe and came along when someone decided to leverage the well-known brand into the Fashion House it is rapidly becoming. A Swiss Hugo Boss if you like. The vast majority of their range has never been near the Swiss Army but apart from the knives they do seem to be playing down that connection a little in their advertising. If you were born in the 1980s then 1989 may be considered a long time, but for an old guy they are still youngsters cashing in on a new market and have no heritage in timepieces.
My other problem is that for a fashion brand their watches are quite expensive, although being "Swiss" they are keen to bask in the reflected glow of the long-established Swiss Masters.

Hamilton are equally not the company they started out as, having been swallowed by Swatch Group - but the Khaki Field is at least a modern development of a genuine Hamilton that they made in the past, so for me the design provenance is more sincere.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm a fan of Victorinox watches, I've owned a couple for many years. Because of my job I need a grab and go quartz watch that I don't have to worry about and I have found the build quality stands up to abuse.
I don't think Victorinox would be my first choice for an auto/winder, I like to ware my autos on my days off and there is a lot of others to chose from in the same price range.
With that being said If that watch clicks all the boxes for you I say go for it, they do make a quality watch.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
No real experience with Hamilton but owned 2 VSA's. Great watches for the money . . .

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'm not saying that Victorinox don't make some good looking watches because there are some nice ones in their range - BUT to me they will always be a fashion brand as, in addition to the knives and cutlery, they are also "making" clothing, luggage and perfume!
Fashion brand? Perhaps. But I'd certainly place them on a different (higher) tier above stuff like Fossil, Diesel, or Micheal Kors. So although they may be a fashion brand, they're at least a good fashion brand.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
My thoughts as well. Currently own 2 VSAs and have owned 2 others previously. I think they're one of the best options around sub-$500.

Yup, money well spent for these 2, awesome!!

·
Registered
8,342 Posts
Get it - its phenomenal value for money and it will be good to have an auto in cycling with a manual wind - you can keep both running. The good thing about these is that the crown is not screw down so you can just wind like a manual watch if you want. This is the new version I guess they have added the ridge dot pattern to the bezel, and the new black dial is 'anthracite grey' and the bezel is black/grey not steel - everything looks good in my book.
Here is my thread on the older version - https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/could-not-resist-vsa-alliance-mechanical-arrived-1070513.html
I'm wearing mine today :-!

·
Banned
412 Posts
I've owned my VSA for 5yrs., I wear this watch jogging, hiking, weight lighting, swimming and most work days. The watch is in better condition than all but one of my Swiss autos.
Victorinox2.jpg

Btw... you can pick up this VSA Officers watch with a ETA 2824-2 - SS bracelet and the manufacturer warranty on Amazon for what I believe is a great price ...
VicOfficer.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-241370-Officers-Mecha/dp/B002T190LI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_241_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FFCR8YV3BGY8QXDB74F&dpID=51u8mK13KBL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR112,160_

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
These VSAs provide insane value, considering their street price vs their specs and the quality they provide.

I own 5 of them, including a Maverick II Chrono that has been with me for more than 10 years, and was my everyday watch for close to 5 of those years. I spend a good portion of my time inside warehouses testing warehousing equipment and software, often in tough circumstances and it never failed. Sure, it has a couple of scars (mostly in the bezel insert), but it still looks pretty good and it has been in hot, freezing and humid warehouses many times, plus inside pools and even the sea at the beach. I still use it often when running and working out.

I also own a VSA Dive Master 500 Automatic, a Military Vintage Automatic Chrono and a couple of Alpnach Chronos. All of them are very well built and provide specs well above their prices.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts