WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then someone wonders why Victorinox Swiss Army isn't discussed much, so I leave you with slightly more VSA love...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

This is a woman's size Officer's 1884. There are several similar models, and a men's size. This one is model 24707, with a textured black dial and applied hour markers. There are also blue, white and mother-of-pearl versions, two-toned case versions, and versions with no texture and simple, painted numbers. These variations combined with the different sizes that are available can make it a challenge to figure out which model you're looking at, and internet sellers often use the wrong image and an unhelpful description.

Round about 2008 VSA changed the way they write their name on the dials of their watches, from "Swiss Army" to "Victorinox Swiss Army", so the one I have is older. They also seem to be favoring a silver version of their logo rather than red on the newest models. I prefer both the old name and the old, red logo. Wenger is now owned by VSA and uses "Swiss Military" and a different wite-on-red cross.

This model measures in at 32mm without crown and 7 or 8 mm thick. It wears on the wrist even thinner than it is, probably due to the rounded profile of the case. The men's version is 40mm. The case is brushed and the bezel is polished. The bracelet is solid and attractive, brushed on the outer and polished on the inner links. It's one of few watches I've left on the bracelet, and I even sized this one myself.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

The Officer's 1884 watches have quartz movements. VSA sells automatics, but nothing this thin, and I don't think they have any automatics for women. Alignment with the minute markers is on-the-money.

This watch is the perfect style and size to use as my everyday wearer. I like it so much I want to get the mother-of-pearl version.

Anyone else want to share some VSA love?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver

·
Premium Member
5,384 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I like Swiss Army. I have the Marlboro white dial SA quartz and a Wenger black dial, also quartz. They are tough accurate watches.
cottontop

Reactions: Smaug

·
Registered
472 Posts
My father wears a nice Swiss Army watch, which was given to him by his kids - myself included - about 10 years ago. When drilling something one time, the drill slipped and went straight into the watch's mineral glass (better than his arm!). It took a mighty chunk out of the glass, but he still wears it. In fact it's the only watch he wears no matter where he is. He's on holiday at the moment and will even wear it to the Met this week :) Glad he likes it.

·
11,997 Posts
Big VSA fan here....I had the mens Officer for a while and then sold it, Mine didn't have the texturing in the dial like yours....I always liked that dial better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've always thought they're one of the most under-appreciated brands at their price point. Their dials are flawless and their designs are classic with a modern flair. One of my favorite brands if not the favorite in the "affordable" arena.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I think there is a stron base of victorinox watch fan here. Dive master 500 is a very popular watch here and I am a proud owner of it. In terms of quality, I thinking share the same seat like omega and rolex. I own a seamaster and a Datejust watch. But I don't think victorinox watch loses out to them in terms of build and quality...

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Mine was given to me for my 28th bday by my dad, and it was my first watch of high quality. I still absolutely love it and wear it often.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I am surprised we don't see them as often here in f71. I've owned a few...some of the best made watches for their price-point. The automatic Terragraph (Wenger) is one that I would like to add to my collection down the road.

·
Registered
Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
5,460 Posts
Would it be rude of me to say I don't like them? I think the diver type style ones are too plain, not in a minimalistic way, which is sometimes nice. They actually remind me of my old titanium timberland watch which I liked 10 years ago, but don't now. There is nothing wrong with the last picture on tinknockers post, nice silver dial and long sword like hands. The other ones look like the less expensive Timex watches from the mid 90's.

Sorry if I'm being too negative.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Love me some VSA.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Would it be rude of me to say I don't like them? I think the diver type style ones are too plain, not in a minimalistic way, which is sometimes nice. They actually remind me of my old titanium timberland watch which I liked 10 years ago, but don't now. There is nothing wrong with the last picture on tinknockers post, nice silver dial and long sword like hands. The other ones look like the less expensive Timex watches from the mid 90's.

Sorry if I'm being too negative.
Well, you are correct. The first 2 are from the 90's. The first one is called the Original, which they still sell today. It is the cheaper model, or probably the cheapest model. The 2nd one I got for free as a promotion. It has the Indiglow light, which I wish a lot more watches had and they still work and I wear them. The 3rd is a manual, has the Unitas 6498 movement. Runs like a charm.

If you're ever at an AD try on the Divemaster 500 mechanical. It is a quality piece and a good size.

·
Registered
191 Posts
^^true statement. The divemaster has always called to me but it was never in the running because of the size. After trying it on I was lucky to get out of the dealer without it on my wrist and a much lighter wallet. Because of the bezel and color it wears much smaller than you would think.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The 2nd one I got for free as a promotion. It has the Indiglow light, which I wish a lot more watches had and they still work and I wear them.
It also has the dial markings printed on a layer of glass over the dial, which I think is pretty unique. And I love the big, simple hands. Dated or not, I'd love to own a watch like that, minus the diver bezel. And it has a light? Bonus!

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
^^true statement. The divemaster has always called to me but it was never in the running because of the size. After trying it on I was lucky to get out of the dealer without it on my wrist and a much lighter wallet. Because of the bezel and color it wears much smaller than you would think.
Yeah, I think they are 43mm, can't remember but on my small wrist, It felt just right.

1 - 20 of 386 Posts