WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pulled the trigger on this and the actual watch should arrive Wednesday. I will add unboxing video and first impressions. I will also compare it to the sbdc031 sumo for size and weight. Psychologically a battery quartz movement has some benefits over

vicky.jpg hand winders, automatics, and solars. I enjoyed my Hamilton Khaki
mechanical until the mainspring broke but winding everyday I thought about the wear on the crown seal. With my sumo I never took it off my wrist as automatics like to be worn, in fact they demand it. Wear me or I will stop. The solar wants to be in the light. This battery quartz doesn't care. On wrist, off, daylight total darkness makes no difference. It will run until the 373 battery runs out then say please put a new cell in me after which do with me as you will. Perhaps the cell will last the whole time of my ownership since I am adhering to a one watch in one watch out policy. The main concern seems to be will the second hand line up with the indices. For that you will have to wait a week or so to find out. I hope it does. The main reason I chose this is for the easy to read big date and the black Friday deal. The stainless steel bracelet is what I wear so that should be just fine. I don't need the second time zone but perhaps I can use it as a timer. Say set it to 12 and then can read elapsed time. Anyway it may prove useful. So if you are interested in hearing more subscribe to this thread and I shall provide the updates of my experience and thoughts on this Swiss Made Vicky.

Movement: Ronda 6203.B, quartz, Swiss Made
Complications: GMT, big date
Power reserve: 60 months
Case material: Stainless steel
Bezel material: Stainless steel
Bezel shape: Round
Case size: 43.00 mm
Case height: 10.00 mm
Dial: Black
Numerals: Arabic
Hands: Steel
Water resistance: 100 meters
Strap: Integrated stainless steel bracelet or Genuine rubber strap
Crystal: Sapphire
Case back: Solid

Caliber:
6203.BLinge Size: 11½
Thickness (MM): 3.30mm
Hand Size: 120/70/19
Stem: 401-1606
Cell/Battery/Power Source: 373
Tap Size: 10
Includes: Protective Case, Stem, and Power source.
Other Information: SWISS PARTS. Silver tone. 1 jewel.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Watch arrived today and did not disappoint. It is a substantial watch at 190 grams with all links. The bracelet is thankfully very easy to adjust with simple pin pusher vise. My wrist is about 7.5 so first I removed 2 full links and after a try on put one full link back and removed a half link. Now a perfect fit with pin set in center micro adjustment hole. The bracelet is an odd 21mm size but since I will only wear it on the bracelet that is not an issue for me. After removing the link and half the classic maverick weighs exactly the same 180 grams as my sumo. Time and date setting are intuitive. The date change occurs right a midnight. The crown adjusts only the single digit moving the left digit once for every ten turns. So going from 30 back to 29 required going through the numbers 3 times. The applied indices do catch the light and give the watch some sparkle.
SAM_5527.JPG

SAM_5526.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having some trouble posting pictures today.

The bezel requires significant force but the edge bites into the finger so grip is secure while turning through the one way very solid click mechanism. So I will wear it for a few days and continue. Perhaps the picture posting issue will be resolved. The clasp has a diver extension but is not the push button release type. It simple clicks into place and has a safety bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gotta say this watch pulls it's weight very well. Quality and attention to detail is most pleasing to the eye. The dial offers many faces depending on the light angle. I will post some more pictures when the site is working properly again. Anyway it was amazing as I sat in my reading chair with reading lamp above and a dark room. I tilted the watch and the highly polished applied Arabic numbers disappeared completely and the sharp outer minute chapter ring, hands, silver dual time circle, date window, white writing and applied shield are all that is visible. All the whites match, that is the white lume filling of the hands, dial writing, shield filling and date. They all look the same color in the light. This is a wonderful detail that is probably difficult to achieve. The lume changes the face again. In the dark, only the hands and bezel pip light up. This reminded me of the Movado museum style minimalist yet functional approach to time telling. Surprisingly delightful. The dual time circle is also detailed enchantingly well. Clear and sharp numerals and indices again surprisingly beautiful to look at and with some depth depressed below the dial face surface. Set down in the watch face like a small sunken living room. Sweet.
I am a one watch at a time kind of guy and the Seiko SBDC031 handled that task quite well all this year. This Maverick seems to outdo the sumo in several ways. In the dress category it looks more at home in the boardroom especially with the dual time complication and large date. The bezel font also appears more mature and classic in execution.
I am impressed really beyond my expectation so far.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after another day the bracelet seemed too loose on wrist. I removed another half link and have the micro adjustment in the first hole now fit is good again.
Not sure what the bezel is filled with but it is very smooth and shiny. Like black onyx and the numbers are also highly polished again adding to the dressy bling look. The bezel edge is also cut and polished to really catch the light and dazzle. With so many highly polished surfaces and angles the light is always catching the eye. The applied Arabic indices are very easy to see in almost all light conditions with a slight angle adjustment of the wrist. Accuracy is still on the second.

vicky3.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great purchase and review. Just curious, is the bezel ceramic?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The previous post should read 178 grams but I have been unable to edit. I wrote to Victorinox to inquire about my specific watch by serial number. This was the response in one day. I have now asked them if the bezel is filled with ceramic and will post the reply.

Dear Mr Miller,
Thank you for your inquiry. The information you requested is listed below. If you have any other questions please give us a call at 1-800-442-2706 and we will be happy to help.
Can you tell me when it was produced? This was produced in October of 2015
Movement is a Ronda 6203.B.0001
Sincerely,
JoeCustomer
SupportVictorinox Swiss Army

Excellent customer service would you say?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cal. 6203.B

Cal. 6203.B

Crown A
Pos. I
Position of rest
(watch running)
Pos. II
Quick-change correction for date
The date can also be corrected during the day-changing
phase between 10.00 pm
and midnight. The date of the
following day has to be set, because no automatic date
change takes place at midnight.

Pull the crown out to position II (watch still running).

Turn the crown clockwise until the required date
appears.

Push the crown back into position I.
Pos. III
Setting the time
(both time zones together)

Pull the crown out to position III (watch stopped).

Turn the crown, until the current time is displayed
(remember the 24-hour cycle).

Push the crown back into position I.
Crown B
Pos. I
Position of rest
Pos. II
Setting the time of the 2
nd
time zone
During the time setting of the 2
nd
time zone,
crown A must be in position I.

Pull the crown out to position II.

Turn the crown, until the desired time is displayed.

Push the crown back into position 1

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the responses so far, I have asked what the black material in the bezel is.

Dear Larry,

Thank you for your response. The bezel is hollow stainless steel. As far as the movement I can confirm that the movement is Ronda 6203.B.0. I have reached out to my repair manager regarding the jewel and will let you know what she tells me.
Sincerely,
Joe
Customer Support
Victorinox Swiss Army

·
Premium Member
14,204 Posts
Your review and photos are excellent. Ashford sale is still on so I bought one as well.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Seems like a great watch for the price.

Reactions: usclassic

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
A little heavy for a quartz watch.

Do you know how much the watch head weights (without bracelet) ?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heard back from Joe who heard back from service manager stating it has a 4 jewel movement. Still trying to find out about the hollow stainless steel bezel's black coating

1 - 20 of 23 Posts