WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

I recently purchased an absolutely gorgeous (cosmetically) 1967 Speedmaster Professional 145.012. Two problems unfortunately. . .the watch keeps accurate time and runs and winds well, but the chronograph pushers are very soft/gummy (rather than the very sharp click) when you start/stop, and the hour totalizer accumulates, but will not reset.

I realize that nobody can do an inspection or entry test over the internet, but being new to watch ownership, I wanted to ask for any experience or insight folks here can offer - the pushers I'm assuming is a more routine issue that a simple service, cleaning, and relube will fix. The totalizer I have no clue on. In broad terms, is something like this a fatal flaw, meaning that a repair is either going to result in a frankenwatch or something where the prescription is throw the entire movement out and replace with a new one? I'm mechanically inclined and well versed in cars and computers; but watches are an entirely new craft to me.

The beauty of this watch to me is its originality - but if the nature of the problem implies substantial repairs that will leave me with a fairly unoriginal piece, then I may simply want to return the watch for a refund.

Thanks for any insight you can offer,

cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Mark, I would get it to a watchmaker with experience of calibre 321 Speedmasters. On the face of it neither issue sounds terminal, however it is impossible to say without an expert opening it up.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It doesn't sound like a fatal flaw although I'm not a watchmaker. It does sound like the watch needs to be serviced. Hopefully Al Archer will comment on this. He is a watchmaker and he knows 321s. When I got mine (105.012) the chronograph didn't function properly. It reset but the minute totalizer kept on running. I had it serviced and there were no broken chronograph parts. The only fatal flaw I see is that you didn't post any photos of the watch! Where are you located? We'll help steer you to a watchmaker.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
To keep the watch original its parts like the watch dial, bezel movement bracelet and caseback. Parts like seals and pushers, crowns and hesalite are just parts that need to be changed, so I would not worry about it if they need to be changed.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Richard - haha! OK, I am guilty of not posting photos. I will do that shortly. If you PM me your e-mail I can send you a few in the meantime.

I did see in a prior thread that you posted comments on both Omega (Bienne?) service, and your local watchmaker - it seems like you have used both, and have been satisfied by both?

I am located in Houston, TX. So if folks here could steer me to a watchmaker and provide references, I'd appreciate it!

cheers,
Mark

cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm in the Phila area and use Precision Watch Repair who are local. There must be a good watchmaker in Houston with Omega experience. A lot of folks here use Nesbitts in Seattle, Al Archer in Canada. My 2 under warranty go to Omega in NYC. My complicaton (perpetual calander/moonphase) goes to Bienne. There is nobody in the US to work on it, nor are there any parts in the US for it.

This littly piggy goes to Bienne:
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

These little piggies stay home (except for the Apollo XI who will go to Bienne):
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Hi Mark,

I doubt anything you describe is a fatal flaw. Yes parts are difficult to get for the Cal. 321, but despite people stating that none are available, some are definitely out there and can be found if you look hard enough. Remember in the days before companies restricted parts access, the material suppliers used to have parts for all brands on hand, so many still have stocks of these old parts in the warehouses.

Hard to say what the issue is with the pusher feel - could be that the pushers themselves need cleaning, or at worst replacing, or it could be related to something in the movement not being right. The reset issue is something not adjusted correctly on the dial side I suspect. Most parts on the dial side can be had if somethig is worn or broken.

Cheers, Al

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts
Parts can always be sourced and then you must find the good and experienced watchmaker which is another question.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
What strap is on the Speedy in the top left corner? I really like the look of that.
Hirsch Rivetta, golden brown.

The reset issue is something not adjusted correctly on the dial side I suspect. Most parts on the dial side can be had if somethig is worn or broken.
There ya go G-boac. Now you just need to get it to a good watchmaker, get it serviced and it's good to go for another 40 years.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Parts can always be sourced and then you must find the good and experienced watchmaker which is another question.

Is this directed at me? Not sure what your point is. These aren't rocket science to work on by any means. I know you have a guy that you like and trust, and that's good, but really these are not very complicated watches in the big picture.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this directed at me? Not sure what your point is. These aren't rocket science to work on by any means. I know you have a guy that you like and trust, and that's good, but really these are not very complicated watches in the big picture.

Cheers, Al
Hi Al - just saw this thread. I'm guessing that Georges may not have realized your profession. :) Thanks for all your insight to me earlier, I will be in touch via PM/e-mail.

best,
Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts