WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello WUSers and WISers. I need your help please with a vintage Omega I just acquired with a 30T2 movement. The seller claimed the watch is all original including the dial, which is not refinished or repainted.

My concern is regarding the originality of the dial and the condition of the movement. The dial seems original to me, but I am by no means an expert so it may possibly be refinished. And the movement looks pretty clean except for some discoloration by the balance wheel and on the anchor. I have seen 30T2 pictures but never saw that type of discoloration. Also the two screws that are missing from the outer edges of the movement, he said a lot of times those are removed to ease tension (??). I just wanted to get opinions and thoughts on whether this was a sound purchase or not. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

3367923_xxl.jpg

3367923f_xxl.jpg

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Hi
My comment
Dial looks reworked to me. I can not see SWISS MADE at bottom.
Why is dial looked, but hands are not! Pretty sure original models were not lumed
Also crown - it it marked with a logo
Here is a genuine:

Movement looks original, but I never heard or saw screws missing that worries me, maybe its not an original dial, and screws were causing an issue.

Proceed with caution.
A

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Thank you very much for your comment. Is that picture of a watch you own or you found on the internet?

The 10.98 million serial # puts this watch between 1944-46, most likely 1946 because 11 million started in 1947, and I believe Omega did not sign the crown at this time. Here is a link to the results of the case reference number of 2391 that shows a picture of a watch with similar crown which appears to be unsigned.

OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

I have also read that not all dials have Swiss Made written on them. Especially Omegas from the 30's and 40's. Is it possible the dial is original, or is there something indicating it is definitely a redial?

Sorry but I just want to know for certain whether it is a redial or not and if the movement is in good condition or bad.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Hello,

Thank you very much for your comment. Is that picture of a watch you own or you found on the internet?

The 10.98 million serial # puts this watch between 1944-46, most likely 1946 because 11 million started in 1947, and I believe Omega did not sign the crown at this time. Here is a link to the results of the case reference number of 2391 that shows a picture of a watch with similar crown which appears to be unsigned.

OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

I have also read that not all dials have Swiss Made written on them. Especially Omegas from the 30's and 40's. Is it possible the dial is original, or is there something indicating it is definitely a redial?

Sorry but I just want to know for certain whether it is a redial or not and if the movement is in good condition or bad.
Hi
No, its not mine, I just did some searching.
For certain, no watch has loomed dial and not lumed hands (or vice versa) as yours does.
And the link you gave, just make me more concerned!

To me, the dial is not original, and two missing screws, I would want to know why (exactly), I suspect they are to hold the dial feet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
No, its not mine, I just did some searching.
For certain, no watch has loomed dial and not lumed hands (or vice versa) as yours does.
And the link you gave, just make me more concerned!

To me, the dial is not original, and two missing screws, I would want to know why (exactly), I suspect they are to hold the dial feet.
Yes now I see what you mean! The dial does appear to be lumed but hands are not, which is suspicious.

About the two screws, I asked and the response was "The 2 screws are not essential for the movement...very often these screws were removed to ease tension." I'm not sure what this exactly means but sounds suspicious. Like you said, if they are to hold the dial then it's more proof of it being refinished. Actually all pictures I've seen of 30T2 with the screws missing it was when the movement was out of the watch case.

Are you certain that the dial is lumed? The case reference is 2391 / 7, and I have not found any info on that particular number.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Yes now I see what you mean! The dial does appear to be lumed but hands are not, which is suspicious.

About the two screws, I asked and the response was "The 2 screws are not essential for the movement...very often these screws were removed to ease tension." I'm not sure what this exactly means but sounds suspicious. Like you said, if they are to hold the dial then it's more proof of it being refinished. Actually all pictures I've seen of 30T2 with the screws missing it was when the movement was out of the watch case.

Are you certain that the dial is lumed? The case reference is 2391 / 7, and I have not found any info on that particular number.
Hi
The dial surely looks looked from the photos.
Original dials are NOT lumed at all and all seem marked 'SWISS MADE'

In my opinion the story on the screws is bolloX. If that was the case OMEGA would not fit them.

all these issues cause 'me' enough concern not to buy.

But I am happy for other opinions
Sincerely
adam

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi
The dial surely looks looked from the photos.
Original dials are NOT lumed at all and all seem marked 'SWISS MADE'

In my opinion the story on the screws is bolloX. If that was the case OMEGA would not fit them.

all these issues cause 'me' enough concern not to buy.

But I am happy for other opinions
Sincerely
adam
That was exactly my thoughts and feelings on the missing screws, the reason for that seemed like bs and I thought the same why would Omega use them if they weren't necessary.

I will wait to see if any other opinions are presented but for now I am on the fence and not leaning towards completing the purchase. Thanks for your insight Adam much appreciated.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
That was exactly my thoughts and feelings on the missing screws, the reason for that seemed like bs and I thought the same why would Omega use them if they weren't necessary.

I will wait to see if any other opinions are presented but for now I am on the fence and not leaning towards completing the purchase. Thanks for your insight Adam much appreciated.
Pleasure
but lets here from others too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts