WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I very much enjoy and own nice watches, I’m not experienced or confident in vintage watch buying. I marvel at the intricate knowledge some of you possess on random references and this is an area I hope to grow. To date, I see something interesting here or there, and then go do my research on the history, variations etc. I struggle to really know what I’m doing or to spot value when going into Vintage watch shops where there are loads of brands/references on display. What’s also not clear to me is how value is impacted when older, 50 year old + watches get a refresh on some visual parts. I get that Frankenwatches are much less desirable and don’t seem to command respect, but what about when a crown is replaced or the hands?

Specifically I’m looking at a Tudor 7928 that’s gorgeous w/ great looking patina. The dealer who I have worked w/ a bit in the past has been upfront w/ the age and origin. He tells me the crown and hands have been replaced, but the dial is original. Would that negatively impact the value or desirability of the watch?

·
Banned
130 Posts
Whatever is replaced it should be NOS and come from the same model. Seiko pogues are being restored now and then but they contains NOS parts. Make sure you don’t make a franken with few parts of a lot of models put together. Then it has less value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
130 Posts
I’m cool with the crown and hand replacement if they look the same as the model suggests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts