WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm fairly new to vintage watches but was quite taken by the below piece,I have an opportunity to purchase this piece for £90 I have a few questions that I hope someone with more knowledge than me can answer:

1. Is the watch genuine
2. Is the price reasonable
3. Is the movement reliable
4. How serviceable is the watch

s-l500.jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg

·
Registered
635 Posts
Welcome. Black dial usually, but no always, means it's been re-painted. We can not discuss valuations on this forum but I wouldn't pay the asking price. Movement looks like AS 1802. If you never done watch servicing the best would be to take it to a watchmaker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for that apologies did not no that rule, bit more info seller claims movement is cal ST 96N does this fit the model and would a high street jewler be able to service one?

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,623 Posts
High street jewellers typically don’t service watches - they send them out to a watchmaker and charge you for doing so, so it’s mostly better to cut out the middleman.

Almost any watchmaker should be able service such a movement

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hi thanks for that apologies did not no that rule, bit more info seller claims movement is cal ST 96N does this fit the model and would a high street jewler be able to service one?
Having looked at this again - yes, it's a ST96N.

The Atlantic brand used a variety of movements from various manufacturers - ST, ETA, AS, FHF.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
I think the dial has been repainted. It says "T SWISS MADE T" on the dial, but there is not lume. Also, the 3 o'clock applied marker is mis-aligned with the cross-hairs. Overall, the evidence suggests it is a redial. Combined with the brassing on the lugs of the chrome-plated case, this is not a desirable example. The crown looks wrong as well. I would look for a better one. Frankly, it is worth paying slightly more to buy one in a steel case. You are going to invest more than the purchase price in a service, so you might as well spend a bit more on the watch and get one that is worth the investment.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
That movement is one or two tiers below what Atlantic would have used. An unsigned ST? Seriously? On top of that, there's what Shum said about the "antichoc" markings.

IMO, fake.

Reactions: Shum
1 - 9 of 9 Posts