WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A friend gave me his (new to him) Ball Trainmaster vintage watch. He is a college kid so does not have a lot of money. The watch is running hyper fast as in 19 seconds fast per minute. Reading on here indicated that the watch was magnetized. I checked with a compass and it does appear magnetized. I bought a Chinese degaussing machine on Amazon and tried it out. I followed a video on YouTube specific to doing a watch.

I have had no success in getting it to run more accurately. I quite possibly could have failed to demagnetize or there could be something else wrong. Any suggestions?

I can post pictures or videos if requested.

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
jpc763...Hello!

I suggest that the watch will need to be opened & looked at. There's a chance that the hairspring has been moved as the consequence of a jolt, and that it's been caught on something...usually an easy fix, with no lasting damage, but it'll need to be set right by hand.

If the spring's magnetized, it's best--once again--to have the watch apart before running the demagnetizer:these devices really zap the watch, and it's a very good idea to immobilize the spring before exposing it to the strong electromagnetic field generated; hairsprings may be permanently damaged as they're tossed-about unless they are held in place.

Finally: on any watch as old as the Trainmaster, it's a really good idea to have it looked over by a good Watchmaker. Oils dry out / corrosion can start / debris works its' way in / etc. A quick examination may save the watch from any number of maladies that are besetting it, yet are invisible unless exposed to the light on a Watchmaker's bench!

Michael/

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
I had an ETA 2824-2 get the hairspring tangled up on a drop. I stopped running until took the back off and gave the balance wheel a twist. Moved it about sixty degrees and it started to run as the hairspring got untangled and freed. I'm wearing the same watch today and it's kept great time. Before the tangled hairspring, it was fast by about fifteen seconds a day. After freeing it, it was slow by maybe ten seconds a day and I corrected it by advancing it by a couple notches on the regulator.

After getting a timegrapher and putting the watch on it, the beat error is close to a millisecond (like 0.7 to 0.9) so the hairspring is obviously not happy with the accident, but it's not worse for wear an tear. When I decide to service it, I plan on removing the hairspring and seeing what I can to do straighten it out. Until then, it's full speed ahead.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I brought the watch in to a watchmaker. He recommended a full overhaul but could also clean he hairspring. The young man went with the lower cost cleaning. It worked great for a week, then after setting the time (pulling out the crown) the watch began running super fast again.

He cannot afford the overhaul ($300).

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Maybe the keyless has a wad of oil on it and every time you pull the stem it launches a drop at the hairspring? Enough repetitions of what he did and eventually the keyless is gonna run out.

Just a though.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe the keyless has a wad of oil on it and every time you pull the stem it launches a drop at the hairspring? Enough repetitions of what he did and eventually the keyless is gonna run out.

Just a though.
Is that something that can be fixed?

I left a message for the watchmaker. He did say that there was no guarantee since he did not do the overhaul.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
You are taking me waaaay to seriously. My scenario would be highly unlikely.

I really have no idea why pulling the crown out would affect the rate. I'd be more suspicious of measurement error or isochronism (winding dependent rate changes). Running that fast is usually caused by magnetism or hairspring alignment mischief but I can't explain either of these reappearing after pulling the crown out.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
It can be fixed I'm sure, but it's going to require more than just a quick intervention. $300 is a very reasonable sum for a complete service, so he will just have to save up for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts