WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I found this watch in my wardrobe collecting dust.
Its a Vintage Baume & Mercier Riviera Quartz M0A01187. I'm not sure what year but it's in perfect condition.
I decided to sell it because I don't wear it and I'm not really a fan of small flat watches.
The problem is I don't know how much it is worth. Yes I did search the web but got no luck. Anyone has a clue..? :think:

the bracelet are those white gold? how do you identify?

·
Registered
41,229 Posts
:think: If it's been sitting for years with a dead battery, the battery may have
leaked and if so, oh well! Check for the Gold ID, it should say 750 or 18k. If none, then it's SS. There's no market for this type of watch and if
it's Gold then it's worth only the spot price.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
See the top of the page, no valuations are done on this site. The same story applies at all the major watch web sites.

Unless the case and/or bracelet are precious metal don't expect too much, especially if the watch doesn't work witha new battery.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see. I'm really desperate trying to indentify what type of Baume Mercier this is.
Looks expensive though. Looks like its white gold or sterling silver of some sort.
Can anybody help identifying this watch? the type? the bracelet are those precious metal?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
For the case, take it to a jeweler; a good one can proably tell you just be holding it what its made of. Bring you camera, and have him pop the back off and take a few pics if you want more detail on the "type". Then check with Ebay to get an idea of its worth.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the case, take it to a jeweler; a good one can proably tell you just be holding it what its made of. Bring you camera, and have him pop the back off and take a few pics if you want more detail on the "type". Then check with Ebay to get an idea of its worth.
Thanks for the input. I will do that soon.
Anyway I was just fiddling around with the watch and i found out that it had 750 mark on the bracelet. Very very tiny need to look at it closely or else need a magnifying glass. Does this mean that it is 18k white gold? :think:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Hard to say...is it inside a box of some type? Are there any other symbols beside or around it? 18k White Gold is usually a bit yellowish, so it will typically be plated with rhodium to make it look whiter. This also helps with the durability, since 18k gold is a bit soft, but as the rhodium wears off, the yellowish colour will show through.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
It is NOS?
Well worth giving it to a watchmaker to install a new battery (if the old one has not leaked). Will sell better!
Is it from the 1980ies?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hard to say...is it inside a box of some type? Are there any other symbols beside or around it? 18k White Gold is usually a bit yellowish, so it will typically be plated with rhodium to make it look whiter. This also helps with the durability, since 18k gold is a bit soft, but as the rhodium wears off, the yellowish colour will show through.

Yes it is, the 750 mark is inside a box marking behind the braclet clip. Something like this [ 750 ] but more of a closed box.
There are some other markings but i cant see it with naked eye bcause its too tiny. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is NOS?
Well worth giving it to a watchmaker to install a new battery (if the old one has not leaked). Will sell better!
Is it from the 1980ies?
Yes it is NOS.
I hope it hasnt leaked. I will go to a watch shop anytime soon. The watch is probably from the 70s-80s or maybe older..I have no idea because its from my Grandfather and he passed away 8 years ago..
Anyway, Thanks for the input..

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Probably 1980s at the earliest. It doesn't look like a 1970s style to me and certainly it won't be older than that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Nothing has leaked and I took the battery out for safety. Baume Mercier 8 jewels.

One of the "750" marking found it at the back of the case. There is another one on the clip of the strap but too small for a pic.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yes it is, the 750 mark is inside a box marking behind the braclet clip. Something like this [ 750 ] but more of a closed box.
There are some other markings but i cant see it with naked eye bcause its too tiny. Thanks for the info.
The watch and band are both 18K white gold.

The watch has a value of approximately the scrap value of the gold content (not insignificant). If the watch still works it may have a bit more value than this.

Your watch would appear to date from the late 1970s to early 1980s.

More information could probably be obtained from Baume & Mercier if you supplied them with pictures and the model number of the watch.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Judging by the quartz movement (no capacitor adjustment and compact electronics) I would place this watch sometime after 1980 ... probably about 1985 to present.

The quartz movement itself is collectible as non-ETA/ESA quartz are not common. (Though if it were earlier, it would be more highly prized.)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The watch and band are both 18K white gold.

The watch has a value of approximately the scrap value of the gold content (not insignificant). If the watch still works it may have a bit more value than this.

Your watch would appear to date from the late 1970s to early 1980s.

More information could probably be obtained from Baume & Mercier if you supplied them with pictures and the model number of the watch.
Thanks for the input.
Does not insignificant meaning that it worth a fair bit of money?
I do not know how much it weighs, probably around 80-100grams at the max.
and I do not know if the watch still works, but i will change a new batt tomorrow and see if its still working good.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Thanks for the input.
Does not insignificant meaning that it worth a fair bit of money?
I do not know how much it weighs, probably around 80-100grams at the max.
and I do not know if the watch still works, but i will change a new batt tomorrow and see if its still working good.
Figure it out for yourself. Estimate the weight of the case & band (less crystal & movement). For example, say this adjusted weight is 80 grams. The market price of gold is now about $30.54 per gram. Since 18K gold is only 75% gold it is then worth $22.90 per gram. So 80 grams of 18K gold would then have a scrap value of around $1,832.80.

Is that a significant amount of money?

·
Registered
467 Posts
The sticker for battery life will give you approx year of manufacture...the arrow indicates that the battery is good until june...and the year is covered by another sticker...minus 3-5 years off the year indicated on the battery life sticker and you have approximate year of maufacture...I think its in the mid 1980s from the style of watch and octegon shaped box.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Figure it out for yourself. Estimate the weight of the case & band (less crystal & movement). For example, say this adjusted weight is 80 grams. The market price of gold is now about $30.54 per gram. Since 18K gold is only 75% gold it is then worth $22.90 per gram. So 80 grams of 18K gold would then have a scrap value of around $1,832.80.

Is that a significant amount of money?
Thanks for the reply.
Now I roughly know how much this watch worths.
Luckily, i didn't let it go when someone wanted $500 for it a couple of days ago..Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The sticker for battery life will give you approx year of manufacture...the arrow indicates that the battery is good until june...and the year is covered by another sticker...minus 3-5 years off the year indicated on the battery life sticker and you have approximate year of maufacture...I think its in the mid 1980s from the style of watch and octegon shaped box.
Yes I tried to look under the stickers but they were too old and they tend to stick together. If i force its going to destroy the stickers.
I think its from the 80s too..
Well i'm off to a watchshop and buy a new batt today..hope its still working good..
Thanks for the info..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts