WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For sale is my 1950s Benrus Sky Chief pilot's chronograph - a real classic. This is a large, high-quality, collectible vintage chronograph that is serviced and ready-to-wear. Vintage chronograph aficionados will be familiar with both the smaller black-dial and this larger white-dial version of the Sky Chief. The 38mm (excluding crown and pushers) all stainless steel case houses the uncommon column wheel Valjoux 71 movement. This model is known for its unique knurled/coin-edge bezel, which rotates to move the internal indicator for timing purposes. The bezel is fully functional and rotating smoothly.

The watch is in very good vintage condition overall, with an extremely sharp case and an appealing aged dial. I have included many photos in various types of lighting in order to show every flaw. There are various minor scratches on the case, a couple of spots on the case-back and some discoloration between the lugs. None of these issues are major or distracting in my opinion. There is some pitting on the back outer edge of the mid-case that is visible when the case-back is removed, as shown in the photo. The glossy dial is patinated with an even spotting as shown in the photos. The largest spot on the dial is at the outer edge, between 2 and 3 o'clock. There is also a tiny scratch on the dial near the 33-minute mark. On the wrist, the dial is very appealing. The acrylic crystal has some minor scratches which could easily be polished away if they bothered you, but I don't find them distracting. Attached is a used brown crocodile strap with a deployant clasp with plenty of life left.

The watch was fully serviced by my watchmaker in February 2018 as indicated inside the case-back. I have also included a photo of the disassembled movement that my watchmaker provided at that time. All time-keeping and chronograph functions work properly and the watch is keeping very good time. No guarantee or long-term warranty is offered on performance. For the buyer's peace-of-mind, I will offer a two-day inspection period for established watchuseek members, but it's always best to avoid returns, so please ask your questions in advance. The watch is located in the US.

The all-in price is $2,700 by PayPal including insured shipping within the US. Other payment or shipping options can be discussed on a case-by-case basis. I am happy to share personal information by direct message. Also, I have feedback and references for sales on other forums that I will be happy to share by direct message, and I am active in the vintage & pocket watch forum. Other watches from my collection can be seen on my @oldwatchdan Instagram feed.

ben2.jpg
ben1.jpg
ben15.jpg
ben3.jpg
ben4.jpg
ben5.jpg
ben6.jpg
ben7.jpg
ben8.jpg
ben9.jpg
ben10.jpg
ben11.jpg
ben12.jpg
ben13.jpg
ben14.jpg
IMG_1877.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Vintage Benrus Sky Chief chronograph - 38mm SS - Valjoux 71 - SERVICED

ttt

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Vintage Benrus Sky Chief chronograph - 38mm SS - Valjoux 71 - SERVICED

ttt

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Vintage Benrus Sky Chief jumbo column wheel chronograph - 37mm - stainless steel - serviced

up

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Vintage Benrus Sky Chief jumbo column wheel chronograph - 37mm - stainless steel - serviced

up

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

up

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

up

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
All-in price (including all fees and insured shipping) reduced to $2,700 for this beautiful serviced piece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts