WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've just bought a vintage Bovet chrono. As I couldn't find informations about this model, I'd like to know if anyone can help me: what's the year of production and the caliber? I'd also like to know your opinions: should I restore the dial or keep it just as it is? Thanks, Louis.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I'd say late 1940s, some sort of Landeron movement. I'm no expert in chronos, so maybe Roland Ranfft could comment.
I would never restore a dial that is as legible as this one is. It has real character and it's supposed to look old. It is.
Thanks for posting your pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, Ray.

Thanks for the informations. I agree if you that a dial must express its age. Could you tell me anything else about the Landeron movement? I've seen in other topics it's a common movement of many other watches. Thanks, Louis.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

I thought I had posted this before, but something happened to the post. :-(

If it's a Landeron 51, then Louis is missing some parts! Does the chrono work properly? The parts missing should prevent that from happening (and no, I don't know what parts are missing exactly: but if you compare the Ranfft picture to the supplied photo, at least one significant part is missing, I think those having to do with starting the chrono functions.

So does the chrono function properly? Does pressing the upper button start the chrono function and pressing the upper once more stop it? Does pressing the upper button again restart it? Does pressing the lower button when the chrono function is interrupted then recenter the central seconds and the totalizer subdial hand to zero?

JohnF

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
That is what I thought at first, but I think they are all there.

The picture on the Ranfft sight has the zeroing hammer(s) against the hearts, while the attached image the hammer(s) are in the cocked position (chrono running.)

The shape of the zeroing hammer is slightly different between the two pictures, but it sure looks like a Landeron 51.

On the Landeron 51, the top button only starts the chrono, the bottom button stops and resets. Pushing the top button to hard with the chrono running can bend the starting lever on the movement, it's not very strong.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
It looks like the the chronometer experts have noticed your post so I shall let them figure it out for you. I am more of an expert in very old "time only" types of watches.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Ahh, now I understand... Thanks!

JohnF

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello. Thanks a lot for all the informations. John, the chrono works properly. Lysanderxiii is right: the top button starts the chrono and the other one stops and resets. I've read some interesting informations about Bovet's watches on their site and it's very interesting how a swiss company suceed in chinese market. I've decided I'll send it to Bovet for restoration. Thanks again for the help. Louis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts