WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I have a family heirloom 1962 Bulova Wrangler men's watch. it is in working order with some scratches on the crystal and basic wear etc. Wondering, is it Wise for the value of the watch to have it restored? If so, by whom? If not, why? Just don't know where to go from here with this piece. Opinions are most welcome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Since your case and dial look pretty good in those photos, I would be inclined to start with a mechanical service and crystal replacement. Except for examples that are in really terrible condition, further restoration often degrades the originality of the watch, and hence its collectible value.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It is wise, from the sense of preserving the watch if you are going to wear it any, but just a clean, oil, and adjust should do. Do not take it to a jeweler. Take it to somebody that specializes in watches, that is preferably NAWCC or AWCI certified. Hopefully you can find someone in your area by searching here: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/watch-repair-geographical-location-search-engines-3433002.html . Some of the links might not work, but it's a start. The case looks fine, so a light cleaning would probably suffice. You wouldn't want to lose any of that nice detail on those lug hoods. The stretch band is also eating into the case, so have your watchmaker pop a (maybe black) strap on there. Nice space-age case.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
"A watch is ruined, not by time, but by bad handling. To run well it should be wound regularly, cleaned yearly, and, if injured, taken to a competent, practical man. A ​Waltham watch properly cared for will last a lifetime." -American Waltham Watch Co. Catalog (c) 1900
"Cleaned Yearly"???????????????????????

Too rich for my blood!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious where you came up with the model name "Wrangler"???

Please explain.

I think you meant to say "Rawlings" not "Wrangler" as to my knowledge Bulova never produced a model by that name.

I did mean Rawlings, that was my mistake. thanks for the correction. some times my fingers move faster than my brain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts