Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited the epic thread on xitek for the first time in ages
http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=446315

This unusual piece caught my eye. It's a pre-1955 Shanghai Hua Cheng watch

with a Seikosha 7 jewel movement

You don't see that everyday, eh?

I wonder what the story was with this watch. Was it a one-off? A redialled Japanese watch from the war, perhaps? It looks like a Chinese case to me, but I'm not familiar with vintage Japanese watches to know if they made something similar.

And if that's not interesting enough for you, how about an early 1950s ZuanShi wristwatch?

Looks like the Jin Xing company was casing up Swiss movements back before they got nationalized.

Something to look out for if you're ever cruising the markets in some Chinese city.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Personally I find those Huacheng watches quite interesting. I have bought quite a few in a hope to find a rare Rolex movement inside.:-d I find many types of old Seikosha movements that otherwise are hard to find.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I find those Huacheng watches quite interesting. I have bought quite a few in a hope to find a rare Rolex movement inside.:-d
That is what I would also be hoping for, but I fear we are just dreaming.
I find many types of old Seikosha movements that otherwise are hard to find.
What do you know about the sources of these movements? Given the troubled history of those days I would have thought there would not be much use of Japanese movements in Chinese watches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts