WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to break into Swiss chrono's. but my budget is limited and am wondering if there are any values to be had in the vintage category.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Affording a vintage chrono is one thing, keeping it running is another. They're complicated movements, not especially known for reliability, and are fairly expensive to have serviced and repaired. There are some good ones out there, but I recommend waiting until you have plenty of cash to get a good one and get it serviced properly.

EDIT: What's your budget, exactly?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I would like to break into Swiss chrono's. but my budget is limited and am wondering if there are any values to be had in the vintage category.
They're all nice and good and great value. I would say: look for a Valjoux. Like a Valjoux 72 or Valjoux 92 from an unknown brand, excellent value. True column-wheel chronographs, they're about the best quality there is. Alternatively a Venus powered chronograph. Or a Valjoux 7733-34 from the seventies, no column-wheel, yet still very reliable. Or for an even smaller budget, a Landeron chronograph (no column-wheel) but nice.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Affording a vintage chrono is one thing, keeping it running is another. They're complicated movements, not especially known for reliability, and are fairly expensive to have serviced and repaired. There are some good ones out there, but I recommend waiting until you have plenty of cash to get a good one and get it serviced properly.

EDIT: What's your budget, exactly?
500 give or take

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
Yes, agree. Look for unknown brands with working movements... NEVER buy a fix up at the beginning stages of collecting. And realize at that price range it if looks too good it may be made up...

The 'Bay has many swimming by...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts