WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

This is about my dad's first ever watch, a hand winding, blue dialed, Citizen New Master that he received as a gift from his sister and her husband after finishing high school. It had gotten stuck quite a long while back and he abandoned it (together with a 1952 Omega Seamaster, but that's a story for another time ;) ) and had all but forgotten about it. However, after recently digging around the house for any and all old timepieces that I could get my grubby little hands on, I found this particular piece. But it was in really bad condition, a horribly scratched up bezel and a movement that was completely stuck, ie: the crown would not budge in any direction.

So I sent it in to my local watchmaker, along with the Omega, for a full service, overhaul and crystal replacement. Now that it's done, it's really quite beautiful, despite the slightly faded bezel. Anyhow, curiousity got the better of me, and I've been trying to google the heck out of this watch, to no avail. And I'm a little too clueless about Citizens to know much, and need a little guidance here. For instance, I know that prior to the early 1970s, Citizens used to have Parawater stamped on the back, and Water Resist after. But this one, as you'll see shortly, says Waterproof. Eh?

Now that the watches have both been overhauled and are running beautifully, I've given them back to my father, the rightful owner. He's a fairly stiff-upper-lipped man, but I could see his eyes glisten slightly when he saw the restored Citizen. Priceless :)

In addition to returning the watch, I'd also like to be able to give him more info on the watch. Any and all help from the Citizen gurus on here will be much appreciated :-!

The requisite and long awaited photos!

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
312 Posts
P1060372.JPG I suppose Seikos get more coverage than vintage citizens. I just snagged one from the local fleabay, Citizen Newmaster 22. The one posted is its predecessor. I have been looking for cheap vintage manual wind after finding that I do like ther form factor of the manual wind Seiko Skyliner 6102. Manual wind watches are thinner than their equivalent autos. There are a few infos available online re Newmasters, they are in the cheaper range of Citizens compare to what came before it. It was during the time Citizen had mechanised their production. The 8260 movement had been in production in Citizen for more than 20 years, so good they are. I am lucky to find one clean specimen with original bracelet (minus the original crown I believe). I will have it given full service in the near future to allow it more years of ticking. For now I just cleaned the gunk in bracelet and a little buff on the original crystal, there are still a couple of big scratches on the crystal and I am leaving em as they are, not sure as to whether I can find original one for it. Time will tell. Now my Skyliner will have to compete with the Newmaster 22 for my wrist time.

August 23 2016 Just added another pic of my Newmaster 22 besides its cousin (a recent find - bought it knowing the movement is in the same series as the one on my Newmaster 22), a Citizen auto with M8210 movement that came without its original bracelets. I suppose these two were at the bottom of page on the then current Citizen issue catalogue. In my neck of the wood one does not get to see higher end citizens being offered and I am just a bottom trawler where I loook for watches that I may like at flea markets. I am quite surprised by robustness and longevity of Citizen/Seiko works where most of my finds run relatively ok for their age. Mind you I really do not know the history of em watches that I acquired knowing the source of most of them.

One of the more recent acquisition, well it is a gift from a friend who got it from a trinkets shop at a distant town, a Mido Multi Star is now at my watchmaker going for a complete service. The advice was to just to do a complete service because getting parts for the old eta movement that actually fit may not be easy. Hope I will have that back on my wrist in a weeks time.

My watchmaker is in his advance age oredi but I do like the fact that he even do jewel replacement if there is any need. There are very few of those independent watchmakers type around anymore so for anything vintage and a little worn I would go to him. A complete service means one week wait for me but I do suspect that he bumps mine up if the thinks he can get away with it because he likes the fact that I understand bits and pieces he is telling me about some of them mechanical watches.

P1060313.JPG P1060311.JPG

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there, great catch! Vintage Citizens are certainly rather unappreciated, with the exception of certain models that go for a king's ransom.

I did, actually, manage to get more information from a very nice bloke named Stephen, who runs an excellent blog about these watches: https://sweep-hand.org/

His blog is probably one of the most comprehensive and authoritative resources on vintage Citizens that I've been able to find on the web. I commented on one of his posts and directed him to this very thread, and his reply to me was as follows:

Hi KC, thanks for visiting my blog, and for your kind comments. Your conclusions about the production date of the watch are spot on. The serial number gives us a production year of ‘9’ – it can’t be 1959 since this movement (1800) wasn’t made then, and it can’t be 1989 either since ‘waterproof’ was phased out by 1973 or so, and this model would not have been made as late as that. So December 1969 is correct, and the other case markings and the dial design are entirely consistent with that date. I understand that this is perplexing – I guess the likeliest explanation is that your father received the watch a little later than he recalls. I don’t think that means his memory is failing – it is after all some 45 years ago, and I think many of us would easily get something a year or so out, I know I could (and have!):)

It’s great to see that you have got the watch up and running again for your father, the ‘Homer’ movement is very sound and reliable in good condition so it should be ok for a good few years more.

Stephen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts