WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Depends on what You consider investment :)
it will at least double it's price from $10 to $20 in several decades for sure

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sorry to be the one that breaks it to you, It's worth about £10 ($15) see ebay

It was made in October 1977

I have one similar in minty condition, nice tight movement and it's still only worth about £20 - £30

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The seller is asking 30$, and although I like the look of this piece, I'm not sure if its worth that much.
What can you buy with $30 in watches today? A new Timex?

If you like it, buy it. It isn't a $2,000 Omega or a $6,000 Rolex.

If you wear it for a year, that's less than 8 cents a day.

If it makes you happy, what else makes you happy for eight cents a day?

Reactions: Sofa-Lofa

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Dude, that's a pretty good looking watch. If you like the looks, and there is nothing for 30$ you like better on the bay, go for it. Not much thay can go wrong for that money...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-N7100 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
This thread really tells beauty is in the eye of the looker... Yes, it's a Mumbai special... Dial looks like a puke, originally has been white. The frame of calenderwindow is missing, it's now somewhere at the foor of clay shack they call workshop. The case is heavily over polished.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
This thread really tells beauty is in the eye of the looker... Yes, it's a Mumbai special... Dial looks like a puke, originally has been white. The frame of calenderwindow is missing, it's now somewhere at the foor of clay shack they call workshop. The case is heavily over polished.
I guess at .08 cents a day, "puke" is a relative term.

I'll say that 99.99% of the population who look at that watch will think, "Oh, nice antique." Probably 90% or more of the WUS crowd wouldn't know to look for all of the flaws that you mentioned.

If you know of a similar watch that has an original dial, the date frame intact and an unpolished case for $30 or less, please provide a link. If not, it is what it is, thirty bucks.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Do You really care about those 99% population or Yourself, knowing that You are wearing a piece of ...? :)
Says you it is a piece of ...?

If your standards are such that you'll only wear brand X or watch valued at >x$ or watch must = original dial, that is your preroggative. But I think it is a bit rude to call someone else's watch a POS. For some folks, a Frakenwatch that looks OK to them is nice, who are we to judge?

Now, if he was paying $450 for this watch, I'd caution that the dial has been repainted, but for many folks, $30 is their max budget. There is nothing wrong with that and they shouldn't be made to feel bad about it.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi there,

For some folks, a Frakenwatch that looks OK to them is nice, who are we to judge?
Most don't jugde here, only advise.

Actually watches cobbled together from still usable parts, which have reasonably survived decades of humid climate, allow no good forecast. The money for them is burnt, although one may need a couple of weeks to notice it. Consider that rust doesn't restrict to visible surfaces; on pivots and pinions it may affect accuracy.

Air conditioning is well known and popular in India, and therefore you may find near mit watches there (after own experience), but buying a watch with repainted dial from India is gambling with insignificant chance, with less political correctness: rubbish in the best sense of the word.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Some of my examples here:

$24

$40

$35

What I want to say is do not support these crooks buying watches from them
And informative and useful reply, what a novel idea :-!

Thanks, looking at these watches puts it into perspective and gives me some ideas on future purchases.

Reactions: laikrodukas

·
Registered
378 Posts
To be honest I think $30 is a bit over the top, if it were around $15 and you really liked it then I can't see any problem with buying it
Like laikrodukas I have had a few lucky finds, watches for $30 that I thought were worth more like $50 - 60 (even $80) they are on ebay and other sites daily, it's just a matter of finding them,

I have also bought a few definite 'Frankens' (HMT's and Favre Leuba's) I bought them knowing they were redials and I am still happy with them years later, even though my budget and tastes have developed since then, I still enjoy wearing them, these are what I cut my teeth on, if it all went bad and the watches stopped and ebay didn't sort it out then I didn't stand to lose too much, they cost around $10 - 15
As it happens, I have only had 1 bad watch from India and I got refunded by the seller straight away, (no hassle, money straight back :))

Lets not overlook the fact that the OP has a total of 8 posts, so I'm guessing he's pretty new to the 'Vintage' game, I don't think watches such as this are a bad place to start, you learn many mistakes when starting out and it's better to lose $30 than $300

As Ticonderoga says, 'It is what it is'....and what it isn't is a $1000 Omega or similar, at that price anyone would want to know that they have something with some originality and that it's not money flushed down the crapper, at this price point it matters MUCH less!

My best advice would be: I would look around for a few more days rather than spend $30 on the Citizen, but if it's the watch for you, then go for it! Just make sure the seller has good feedback, so if anything does go wrong then you should stand a fair chance of getting a refund

Also,
don't buy a vintage watch from India without seeing photo's of the movement, because of the high humidity it could be a rust bucket

Some people on here are quite happy to slag off a $30 watch because it's a redial or whatever, then get in their $20,000 used car to take the family out for the day (yeah, y'know, the one they bought from 'Honest John' it's only been in 3 accidents, only 1 REALLY serious one, it was straightened out ok, it looked good, so they bought it!)

Reactions: Ticonderoga
1 - 17 of 17 Posts