WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I would appreciate help from those of you in the know regarding my interest in an older Omega.
I have finally resigned myself to the fact that despite the "Ego" boost that comes with the Rolex submariner I wear I really don't like the watch very much and am not very impressed with it's accuracy and time keeping qualities not to mention the bulk.
With that said I have always found the older Omega's to be georgeous watches but here is my concern and question.

I am an avid golfer and pretty active in general. Would an older pie pan Omega such as the one listed below offer reasonable durability and reliabilty as an everyday watch. It certainly would not be abused but would see normal daily wear an tear.

Thanks very much for any opinions or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Brad

CHRONOMETER GRADE 354 MOVEMENT

5 WAY ADJUSTED MOVEMENT
NUMBER 13963578

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Let's get this right - You want to use a dress watch Constellation from 1953 as a sport watch?

If you get the watch you describe it would first have to be serviced to assure good functioning and water resistance. Unless this has already been done this would involve replacing the crystal, crown, case back gasket and water-resistance testing.

How durable the watch would then be depends a lot on what condition the movement is currently in. That is, what abuses has it suffered over the years? While such a watch may stand up to a round of golf, overall, I wouldn't recommend this watch for such active use.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
IMHO no, I wouldn't use one as an every day watch but others I'm sure may feel differently. The 354 is a bumper automatic movement and probably dates back to the mid 1950's, given that this watch could be 60 years old I feel it should be treated as such...IE with care and respect. I have a couple of Constellations from the mid 60's and they will get worn occasionally at evening functions or business meetings etc.

Just my opinion.

Edit. I treat all my vintage watches, even if they have crown and case back seals, as if they didn't....so I keep them well away from moisture where ever I can....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gentlemen. I very much appreciate the advice and would certainly not want to subject a fine old timepiece to inappropriate conditions.

Thanks again,
Brad

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Brad- If you really don't like that Sub you could swap it for an Aqua Terra with the silver dial/ gold hands. You would have an excellent timekeeper with reasonably close looks to a Connie (compared to most 'sport' watches) and not have to worry about the age factor. Then save the Connie for your more 'civilized activities'.
Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts