WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I am finishing up (for now) my research on the mechanical World Time watches from Seiko - I am finding myself more and more interested in what came next - in this case specifically the Digital / LCD World Times that Seiko produced from 1977 through some point in the 1990's (to be determined).

I am starting at absolute zero here - I knew nothing about these watches a few days ago, so there is a very high likelihood that my current assumptions are not correct. I am hoping some other owners / enthusiasts can help me get this all straight! Thankfully there are a lot of catalog scans of this watch - helping me get started.

I believe there were essentially 4 watches here - going something like this:
  1. M158-500X - The original PAN AM, Lemon colored LCD
    • 1977 - 1979
    • One dial version has city names abbreviated
    • Another dial version spells out the city names
  2. A358-500X
    • June 1979 - 1982 ?
    • The follow-up to the gen 1, gets an Alarm function
    • Looks like we get a new LCD panel
  3. A239-50XX
    • Nov 1979 - 1982 ?
    • This is a completely different watch
    • Sold along side the A358
    • Had two layer LCD - so you could set the time zone using a world map screen
  4. A7X8-50XX
    • 1984 - 1990 ?
    • This is the 3rd gen of the original watch
    • Gets full city names on the dial/bezel
    • I have seen A708 and A718 versions - not sure the difference?
    • Is this the last LCD world time from Seiko?
Please help me get this correct!

Here's the start of a Google Doc:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have gathered it looks like this series ran through perhaps 1991, and was then replaced with the "Age of Discovery" World Timers - celebrating 500 years since Columbus discovered America. Interestingly those watches take on a much more dressy look/feel - with a return to analog dials and gold cases.

As for these digital versions - they are quite cool IMO - but no idea on how long one might reasonably expect these LCD modules to continue to work...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent - I have updated the doc to reflect Nov 1979. It seemed to be sold alongside the A358, which I have seen with production dates as early as June 1979 - so there is a chance the A239 also goes further back.

Awesome watch BTW.

The ads / catalog suggests there are a few LCD version - a black map, a green map and a brown/red map. There are also a couple of listings on ebay right now (from Hungary) selling NOS digital units - claiming one is the green map and one is the black map.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've started (very early days) indexing sales images with case back info for these digital watches. With only 65 total digital world times indexed so far, it looks like this:
  • M158: April 1977 - January 1979
  • A358: April 1979 - February 1980
  • A239: July 1979 - April 1980
  • A708: May 1984 - May 1988
  • A718: February 1984 - June 1984
You can browse the data here:

This will get built out like the mechanical watches eventually.

I have an A239-502A in the mail, and recently added the this one to my collection (the A718 at right):

I've also finally put up a first revision/post on the M158-500X:

I've also put up the ad/catalog scans that I could find:

Those are my first write-ups on these digital world times... If you spot anything incorrect, please let me know. More soon...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts