WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone)
I was so much surprised, that in certain topics, dedicated to Japanese watch manufacturers, such as Seiko, Citizen and Orient, the whole branch of development of Japanese watch manufacturers was missed, namely, the discussions of vintage electronic watches. That's why today in sub-forum which is called "Orient", I would like to start a disscussion of Orient vintage electronic watches.
And we will start with the legendary, probably, with the world's first "touch sensor" electronic watch - Orient LED Touchtron.

This moodel names Orient Touchtron G680111-40 CA.

According to the number on case back, this model was made in November 1976, of course in Japan) Before start speaking about the feature of this model, we should mention, that in the 70's, the manufactury of power saving electronic watch was not so well developed, as it turned out to be later. The first plates in electronic watches consumed enormous amound of electrisity. Therefore, in order to save energy and increase the life of the watch from batteries, manufacturers went to various tricks, for example, the LED watch did not have a constant display of time, it was displayed only for a couple of seconds, when the button was pressed. For instance, this model contains two large batteries of the SR44 (357) type, which, according to advertising brochures, should be enough for 1 year of continuous use, if the time won't be displayed more than 20 times per a day. Also, according to brochure Touchtron has accuracy about ± 10 per a month just as our modern quartz watches!
And now it's high time to talk about specialty of this model - time display not by pressing a button, but by touching the case!

But how does it work? Now I'll try to explain it.
The case of this watch is divided into two parts by a plastic ring.
(I hope you'll excuse me, that this photo of the Orient 68000 module is not mine)
There are two contacts come out from the module:
1) metal side contact to the bottom part of the case

2) a conductive rubber to the upper part of the case.

The human body acts as a conductor of current: the bottom part of the case is always in contact with the hand on which the watch is, when the finger from other hand touches the upper part of the case - small amount of the current passes from one hand to the other through the human body and closes the contacts. So simple and at the same time such an absolutely unique technology! By the way, this technology was developed by another famous Japanese company - Sharp, this company produced modules for Orient digital watches.

P.S. It can also shows the date by touching it two times instead of one and showing seconds by pressing on upper usuall button for a time, which flashing in time with the seconds. But i forgot to shot in. Don't worry, I'll show it later)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I think it's time to post another models from Orient's advertising brochure, that I have posted last time.
Today I'll show to you two models at once!
Let's start by seeing how this watch works live.
Video of working
1) Orient Touchtron H680110-40 CA
Made in Japan (of course)

Look at this bracelet - it looks like Audemar Piguet Royal Oak bracelet

So, touch one time the sleeping watch with your finger to display the hours and minutes.

And touch two times to show date.
(I'm sorry, but last time I forgot to show how date look like in this module. So, here it is).

Only two buttons to set time in there:
1) Quick press the lower button resets the seconds to 0.
Squeeze this button for a couple of seconds to start the setup mode and press to switch between indexes (hour, minute, date)
2) The upper button is used to set the time (+1 to index) in the setup mode.

Pay attention to the serial number at case back - in this model it consists of five digits (previous model has six-digit number), that's why it's difficult to say when exactly the model was released, because the first digit "5" is definitely not 1975, because Orient shows itself that the first Touchtron was released in 1976.

I can assume the following:
1) The first digit - the digit of the year, was omitted as a matter of course.
Accordingly, the number begins immediately with the second digit - the digit of the month. Here it is the number "5", which probably means that the model was released in May (the 5th month). So, according to this theory we can suggest that this model was released in May 1976.
2) This five-digit number can simply mean the batch number without reference to a certain time period.
In general, Orient, unfortunately, had big problems with serial numbers. In my own experience of views for a lot of Japanese watches itself and photos of Japanese watches, Seiko and Citizen started to stamp helpful serial numbers at 1960s. But Orient started putting serial numbers about 1966-1967 and it numbers was unhelpful, just like number on this model. Seiko and Citizen continued to use this type of numbering to nowadays, while Orient used to put numbers only on certain models and only until the end of the 1970s. In the 1980s and futher Orient stopped to stamp numbers, and it's very strange for the 3rd largest Japanese watch company (after Seiko and Citizen).

Here's module (or caliber in another word) of this watch - Orient 68000

2) Orient Touchtron H680103A-40 CA
Made in Japan (you know it)

Here's date again)

Unhelpful five-digit serial number. Or, according to my theory, it missed the digit of year and in this case this model was released in April 1976.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hello everyone)
I apologize for not posting new photos for so long. I will try to post them more often from now.
So today we have Orient Touchtron, which is depicted in another advertising brochure.
To be honest, I think the drawing of this woman with cigar is a little strange, it is made a little bit caricature and too pretentious.

Name of my model is Orient Touchtron G680109A-40 CA

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you! Very informative and well described with a lot of good quality photos! Kudos for you work! Please continue posting more about Orient Digital. Almost no resources are available, so you make a great help for orient community. Warm regards, Rustam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hello everyone)
Thank you all for your attention, I appreciate it).
Today I would like to show you the second generation of Touchtron - Orient Touchtron II (2).

This model is called the Orient Touchtron II I 630102-40 CS and was released in December 1976.

As you may have noticed, the second generation has its own features.
First of all, the area that displays the time by touch has shrunk from the whole upper half of the case to a small area in the front of the case. I can't say whether this is good or bad, but I know why it was done in principle-reducing the thickness of the watch. The first generation of the Touchtron had a thickness of 14 mm, while the second generation, based on the example of this watch, has a thickness of 10 mm. Which is undoubtedly a plus in order, for example, to wear this watch under a suit. And many people as me, prefer a thinner watch.

Also, as you may have noticed, in this model there is a lightweight, but still solid double bracelet with a loose clasp. Which is also, in principle, convenient, because sometimes the wrist tends to periodically increase and decrease in size.

Secondly, a third ribbed button appeared separately, which performs two functions at once:
1) Quick press duplicates the time showing function (which is probably necessary for those who prefer to press the button instead of touching a certain area of the case, although this does not make any sense).
2) The button is not in vain has a ribbed relief - this is necessary in order to squeeze it and turn it 45 degrees clockwise to lock the time showing function (I understand, it does not sound very clear, so I attach the video)
Other functions are completely repeated.

On the case back there is a beautiful pattern from circular milling and again a helpful 6-digit number, which begins on 6D-December 1976, as I wrote above.
And the thirdly is a different module.
It's time to look inside of the watch)

The module became known as Orient 63100.
Let's look at it in more detail, and also compare it externally with the first-generation module - Orient 68000
There are two contacts come out from the module like in 68000, but with some changes:
1) metal side contact to the bottom part of the case

2) a conductive rubber to the special area in the front of the case

And here are two modules: the first generation on the left, the second generation on the right.
Here we have a huge difference. It is easier to say that it has not changed - the principle of operation of the watch.

But what has changed: as I mentioned earlier, the watch case has become thinner, all because of the fact that the module itself has become thinner. At the same time, it seems to have become cheaper or something... Noble green plastic replaced black nondescript shiny, contacts with thick metal pins with a contact rubber band changed to all the familiar thin gold-plated copper plates.

What is only worth comparing the number of contact details: the first-generation module has thick round contacts with three lobes, as well as two insulating plastic covers for batteries. The contact that secures the batteries is screwed on a screw. And what about the second-generation module? Two thin contacts for batteries, plus a round chrome-plated copper plate on the +UP contact. Look at the plate that holds the batteries - yes, it is simply inserted into the center of the module, and then bends to its lower part, by the way, so it is so scratched, because every time you remove an set it back - the screwdriver and tries to break off from it.
(The batteries that I photographed were in one of my watches, which I purchased directly from storage. I understand that they were released around the same time as the watch, because they are batteries made by Union Carbide and they are Made in USA. It is interesting that for so many years they have not even flowed out.)

Here's some macro photos.
First-generation

Second-generation

I forgot to show you the original manual from the first generation of Touchtron.

It tells about the principle of operation of the main feature of the watch - the showing time by touch) Interestingly, the picture shows first the owner of the watch, who touches the second hand of the watch, thereby acting as a current conductor, and in the second picture he is depicted already touching the hand of his friend, who in turn touches the case of the watch) I think that this picture prompted many Orient Touchtron owners to try to touch the watch case not by themselves, but through someone else)

And some specifications:

32,768 Hz frequency of quartz generator
Accuracy about ± 10 per a month
12-hour time format
4-digit display
And other

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts