WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the SKX007 but have also been interested in vintage because of the value that they bring. I have focused on the skx in the new market because of the price, versatility, and durrabuity. I am a college student who mostly wears button downs and polos and needs a watch that can survive stumbling into a wall at the end of a night out, so a diver seemed to be the perfect watch. I don't have any experience in the vintage or even used dive watch market and was wondering if any of you guys had any recommendations around the 200 USD price point. Thanks for your hep.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Divers are fashionable at the moment, finding a serviced watch for 200 might be difficult if you want a real divers watch (Ie not a chrome plated pinlever)

I'd probably look towards Seiko myself, personally I'd love a 7548 quartz, but they are usually more than 200 unless they are very banged up. A 6309 automatic is another option.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Seiko's are very good watches I know plenty in the Russian forum that own vintage divers and see them as a solid watch, I own 2 myself. The only problem with any vintage diver is the WR and being a student do you go near water?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really, if I got the skx I probably wouldn't even take that in the water. I just like the fact that it can take a hit or two and maybe a splash at the sink. So the only water the watch might see would be some rain if I forgot my raincoat or washing my hands.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
If you're OK with Soviet-made watches, there's the Vostok Amfibia - they can be found for fairly decent money, well below $200. The Russian watches forum here on WUS should be able to help you with finding the right one. But if you're looking for Swiss or Japanese, the market for them is - at the moment - completely nuts, thanks to Hoodwinkee and the likes of them.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
It is always possible to get lucky, but generally speaking, as mentioned above, in that price range the watches you would be looking at will just be "diver-style", most likely chrome-plated, and often with a low-quality movement. I don't think it's a good investment of $200.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Vostok Amfibia are the stainless steel so avoid the Vostok Komandirskie which is chrome plated. The movements in Russian watches are cheap but take some hammering and too be fair with the design of the seals on these watches you would achieve a WR more then a swiss vintage diver, the movements may not be swiss pretty but they do the job. Another watch you could consider is an Orient.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
I don't know if the OP is still checking in, but I came across this very nice Delbana diver for $156 with free shipping. There are no movement photos, but if the 1970s style appeals to you, this could be a real bargain. There is some wear to the bezel obviously, but overall it's in very nice condition, all SS, and it has an automatic ETA movement that has been serviced, according to the seller. Perhaps you could ask for movement photos.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/525086952/vintage-delbana-dive-watch-solid

delbana.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
That doesn't look right. How can a bezel have such extreme wear all the way uniformly around, without the case showing any wear?
It is interesting how often I see bezels with wear exactly like this. I wonder if people actually polish/file them down when they get dinged.

It's possible that the case was refinished, but if so, it was very well done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts