WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all know that a vintage dive watch might not retain it's resistance to water over time. I'm just curious if anyone here has had the courage to do such a thing (without it being resealed and tested).
Once I had an early 80's Seiko Diver and my little cousin threw it in the pool! It went all the way to the bottom and when I brought it too the top it was ticking fine and no water in the dial. I sent it to my watchmaker and he said it looked fantastic on the inside!

Any other horror stories? Maybe people not so lucky?

Reactions: Morethan1 and Boone

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
My worst horror story: My dad gave me his watches when I was a kid and throughout my teens, all Seikos and a Rolex for HS Grad. Gold & stainless GMT Master that he purchased new in the early 80s (1983 I think). When I was 17, I was diving in the Tampa Bay off Davis Island with some friends from their boat and it broke at the buckle and sank to beyond view. I chased it down as far as I could but it was impossible for me to get it back. Just had to watch it sail down.

On the other hand, this is one my dad gave me that I dive in 1 to 2 times per year and still counting to include last weekend off the Jersey Shore- I have SWORN that I will either throw it out or frame it as soon as it quits. Last re-gasket done in 1997, dove the following spring in '98 on my honeymoon then every year at least once.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My worst horror story: My dad gave me his watches when I was a kid and throughout my teens, all Seikos and a Rolex for HS Grad. Gold & stainless GMT Master that he purchased new in the early 80s (1983 I think). When I was 17, I was diving in the Tampa Bay off Davis Island with some friends from their boat and it broke at the buckle and sank to beyond view. I chased it down as far as I could but it was impossible for me to get it back. Just had to watch it sail down.

On the other hand, this is one my dad gave me that I dive in 1 to 2 times per year and still counting to include last weekend off the Jersey Shore- I have SWORN that I will either throw it out or frame it as soon as it quits. Last re-gasket done in 1997, dove the following spring in '98 on my honeymoon then every year at least once.
View attachment 1612288
Don't throw it out! What a beauty.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thunderdaddy, great story and piece!

Reactions: Thunderdaddy
1 - 4 of 4 Posts