WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This time is "hero" watch which saves g-shock production line from extinction.
Looking good with minor scratches on mineral glass, comes with discolored bezel and original replacement band.
DSCN1173.JPG
Perform brief cleaning with 70% alcohol. Rust is observable on bezel screws end, and I dare not attempt to remove by force, sometimes it is good to keep it the way it looks, don't you agree?
DSCN1180.JPG
I replace all rubber seals from a DW5600E. These pushbuttons from DW-5200 can be inter-switched between DW5600E, except for the "adjust" pushbutton which is smaller than DW5600E.
DSCN1181.JPG
Then I submerge in water to see if waterproof is still applicable to the watch. 10 minutes passed, no sign of water seen in the watch.
DSCN1191.JPG
Finally, DW-5200 in its brazillian bezel & band look:
DSCN1193.JPG

There is one more thing, I use sand papers try to remove scratches from the mineral glass, and results are terrible--> even more scratches.
Can somebody please share what type of abrasives are suitable to remove scratches from this watch? Thank you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sandpaper won't polish the crystal, you will need to use cerium oxide powder mixed with water to polish the crystal to crystal-clear. Use sandpaper to pile down crystal until scratches disappear, make sure you use very fine sandpaper right before you polish with cerium. Diamond paste works too but a lot more expensive than cerium oxide.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
People are saying "sandpaper" but I think it's better to say "micromesh"... which refers to the much finer abrasion types and doesn't involve "sand". ;-)

Yeah, to get rid of those deeper scratches you need to shear off a fine layer of the crystal... so you start with one degree of abrasive material and slowly work your way down to the cerium oxide paste.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sandpaper won't polish the crystal, you will need to use cerium oxide powder mixed with water to polish the crystal to crystal-clear. Use sandpaper to pile down crystal until scratches disappear, make sure you use very fine sandpaper right before you polish with cerium. Diamond paste works too but a lot more expensive than cerium oxide.
My gratitude for your detailed information!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm using cerium oxide too, and its definitely working, but its a lot of work. don't expect for it to work fast.

it's taking me days to fix my hero and an old gold speed, but the scratches are slowly disappearing
I have spent 4 hours in refurbishing this watch. No rush, just watching it disappear slowly is a good enough reason for me to conduct polishing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People are saying "sandpaper" but I think it's better to say "micromesh"... which refers to the much finer abrasion types and doesn't involve "sand". ;-)

Yeah, to get rid of those deeper scratches you need to shear off a fine layer of the crystal... so you start with one degree of abrasive material and slowly work your way down to the cerium oxide paste.
Thanks. I would polish it circular iteratively.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts