WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Hamilton Khaki Auto
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
My lovely grandma (90yo) recently died and knew of my passion for watches, I was just given this Elgin by my Father who told me she wanted me to have it. I love the looks and the case is rose gold stamped 14k? It feels really nice and the dial is somehow still immaculate. The movement looks intact although I'm sure it needs a service. I wanted to post this thread to learn more about this Elgin and for you all to enjoy. Thanks for your time and help. On to the pics!

image5 (1).jpeg
image6 (1).jpeg
image4 (1).jpeg
image3 (1).jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image9.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Lovely watch!!! Beautiful case and nice, fancy dial and in decent condition as well. Wonderful family heritage :)
As for the case - i'd say it's plated, but post the pictures of the signatures for identification...
The movement is a typical Elgin's workhorse, made in large numbers. Good quality, but nothing special. Made in 1910s.

Beautiful watch!!!

·
Registered
Hamilton Khaki Auto
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a lot more than I knew previously! Thanks for taking the time to respond. Is the dial porcelain?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I thought 24,xxx,xxx woul still be 1910s, but maybe early 1920... Still my Elgin estimations are getting better.
Have it serviced and enjoy this watch - it's adorable.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Is there a way to tell the model name or grade of the watch and movement?
Try out this link below, grade is 312. As it has been said before, it was one of Elgin's workhorses. Once on the page, click on grade (orange number '312') and it tells you the time-span of production. This was from 1905 until 1928, and although World War I put some breaks on fancier developments of consumer products in favor of other priorities, is shows that this was a success model for many years:

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/24751471

Congrats to that watch, especially as it is a family heirloom.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,341 Posts
Is there a way to tell the model name or grade of the watch and movement?
Yes, it's a workhorse middle grade 15 jewel movement, but it's also durable, capable of reasonable accuracy and will last another century with servicing. One look at the movement finishing tells me it was made to be opened and enjoyed. Relatively few watch companies finish movements that way today and those that are finished like that cost quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Beautiful Elgin! I use My grandfathers all the time. I hope you can do them same once you get it serviced.
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
Hamilton Khaki Auto
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I plan to. Great replies in this thread, helped me learn about the movement and year it was made 1922? maybe? It's pretty neat to think about someone holding this nearly a century ago and it's in my hand today almost in the same shape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts