WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what model or reference number or even what year this vintage GP is from? I really appreciate everyone's help!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I have seen a few suspicious ones in the same style like this so as always you must look at the movement and general condition and quality to be more sure. I'd say avoid GP watches if you are new to vintage watches as it's the most faked brand of them all.
Rolex is by far the most faked watch in the world today. In olden times, Omega, Bulova, Hamilton and Longines were your top candidates. Girard-Perregaux was way down the list for vintage fakes.

You can read more in this December 1971 article on counterfeit watches from Popular Science:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fQ...e&q=popular science counterfeit watch&f=false

When it comes to bad redials and frankenwatching, then GP makes the top tier list. Main reason is so many of their movements and trim parts are interchangeable with other brands like Zodiac and A Schlid.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Rolex is by far the most faked watch in the world today. In olden times, Omega, Bulova, Hamilton and Longines were your top candidates. Girard-Perregaux was way down the list for vintage fakes.

You can read more in this December 1971 article on counterfeit watches from Popular Science:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fQ...e&q=popular science counterfeit watch&f=false

When it comes to bad redials and frankenwatching, then GP makes the top tier list. Main reason is so many of their movements and trim parts are interchangeable with other brands like Zodiac and A Schlid.
gatorcpa
Yes so true but I was thinking manufactured fake vintage watches made today and more or less every GP watch that turns up here is either a fake or could be. I wonder how many of those fakes from the day are still around or did they all rust and fall apart? One seen some fake Omega watches now and then from back then but they are so easy to spot as they are all faked gold watches with horrible coloring. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts