WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I bought this watch on ebay. I wonder to anyone can shed some light as to the specifications of this thing and how old this is.

I'm afraid to open the watch. So I only have pictures of the outside.

What I know so far:

Movement: manual mechanical.
size: case diameter 31mm
accuracy: within a minute/24hrs
ticks kind of loudly, but then I've never owned a nonquartz watch.

The weird thing about this watch is that the movement can only be accessed by taking off the hands and the dial.

The band is a 1960s timex band.

I wonder is this thing a fake? Either way, I actually like this a watch a lot. It fits well with my super thin wrists.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'll defer to some of the more experienced members on the matter of authenticity. Stylistically it's a late 40's early 50's watch. The faded lume and dial makes it a military style watch.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm afraid to open the watch. So I only have pictures of the outside.

The weird thing about this watch is that the movement can only be accessed by taking off the hands and the dial.
Unfortunately, the members probably won't be able to tell you much without a seeing the movement. Although it may be strange to you, it's quite common to see vintage watches that have a fixed caseback, thus requiring them to be removed through the face. An experienced watchmaker (NOT necessarily the same as a jewelry store "watchmaker") should be able to remove it.

Congrats on a handsome piece. I've always like GP. They're kind of like the underdogs of the mid-level market.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The dial looks 1930's-1940's to me. movement pics would be great.
Also, get a decent leather strap for the thing! :]

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
GP has always made good stuff. I am collecting their early quartz (some of the best on the market at the time). I have never seen them make a front loader but lots of folks did in the 40's as it was more water resistant than previous casings.

This is a nice piece and deserves some TLC! (...and it deserves a decent band or strap! Spidel pinch-o-flex bands are lug gougers!)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and how does the band damage the lugs?

what kind of band would you recommend (no more than 15 USD)?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The lugs are the case extensions where you attach the band. Your current band, being metal, will erode the surface of the lugs (by friction) with every movement. Get a leather band, you should be able to find an entry level leather band within your budget. If you don't have tools to change the band better let a watchmakers do it for you, it should be free of charge as long as you buy the band from him.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all for the replies. will change the bracelet to a leather one.

The lugs are the case extensions where you attach the band. Your current band, being metal, will erode the surface of the lugs (by friction) with every movement. Get a leather band, you should be able to find an entry level leather band within your budget. If you don't have tools to change the band better let a watchmakers do it for you, it should be free of charge as long as you buy the band from him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts