WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of you know, one of the specifications which makes Airman THE Airman, is the unique hacking mechanism. Once the main crown is pulled out to set time,a tiny pin pops up at 24 o'clock position to stop the seconds hand:

DSC07008%20(Large)%20(Custom).JPG

This mechanism was used only by Glycine back in the '50s and '60s, applied in Airman and Combat lines.

Unfortunately, since it's not a widely known spec, many were destroyed within years or during servicing.I guess many owners would like to have it fixed.

I've found a contact in the United States,a gentleman who is NAWCC member and is specialized in manufacturing custom parts for watches and clocks.He has a positive approach to this hacking pin and it looks like we will be cooperating. However I am not expecting him to re-produce parts with educated guess and restoration project documents via emails, he will have to work on physical watches.

I wish it would be only 'one fits all' but unfortunately I believe the Felsa and Schild casing Airman and ETA casing Combat have differences inside the case and the case-ring diameter would vary.

So this topic is an approach for WUS members, who would like to have their Airman's hacking mechanism fixed. Please post a reply if you would be willing to send your Airman or Combat for being inspected and repaired.

This hack wire and the toggle arm attached to the movement ring is generally the part missing inside the watch-case which we are planning to reproduce if there is enough interest:

hack1.jpg
photo,custody of Geoff Quickfall

·
3,631 Posts
Sometimes I wonder how many vintage Glycine owners are aware of the unique hacking system for these watches...and realize that parts are missing if it's not working. I believe so many wires are missing because watchmakers over the years have left the wire out upon reassembly; not realizing what the extra part was for.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, unfortunately many have been gone during servicing. There are also good surprises like Geoff's watch - the above documented one.All parts were there,had the ring, toggle arm and even the wires in place, was just bent under the dial.He just insterted it through the dial and olaaa there it is working again, lucky him.

Meanwhile the first Airman has been sent already to the watchmaker, will update the progress.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mission Completed !!! :-! The hacking mechanism has been installed and working as it should be in a Felsa casing Airman.

The gentleman who handled the fabrication and installation of the parts is a real watchmaker, not a service center. He designs and manufactures custom parts for timepieces.

He inspected two Glycine Airman models, one with A.Schild and another with Felsa movement. He had the opportunity to see in detail how a functioning hack is installed in the watch-case. He identified step by step the whole process of fabricating this mechanism and shared with me the process. With his skills and knowledge he even contributed what and how it can be done to be more durable so it can survive more decades.

Anybody having concerns and non-working hack mechanisms in their vintage Glycine Airman and Glycine Combat may contact him with my reference. Each watch might have its own concerns, therefore pricing is not flat.He is based in Massachusetts,USA. You may approach him and upon his availability send your watch and get an estimate.For Airman owners from Europe,Asia and Australia photos would work also ( photo specs will be determined by the watchmaker ) for the estimate.

Contact Details:

Matt Henning

His website: Henning Horological Fabrication - Custom Parts

I don't want to expose his email address not to cause spam,his email is in his website's contact page.

Please mind that Matt, will NOT service your watches. He will only manufacture the custom parts for the needed hack mechanism and will install them. Will make sure that the hacking is working. He won't clean, lubricate and adjust your timepiece. Finding a real watchmaker who is able and skilled to design and manufacture parts of watches is really difficult nowadays.

I would like to thank Matt for making this happen and hope that many Airman will be back to fit condition. Our vintage Airman and Combat timepieces are unique, there is no other watch brand and model using this unique mechanism, let's take care of them for future generations.

Another thank you goes also to Sam, he is not a member here but has the largest vintage and modern Airman collection in his inventory and is an Airman himself. He volunteered for sending his Airman to be inspected by Matt, so I didn't struggle from the other side of the Atlantic with sending watches forth and back.

This progress has been initiated by me for our community and is not related with the Glycine Watches SA.
I will be happy to see the vintage Airman hacking again and therefore as Glycine Heritage would support all communication and bridging information within members, non-members and third parties.

May our Airman tick and hack, horrraayyy :-!:-!:-!

·
3,631 Posts
Wow! Matt the hackmaster!

Reactions: Emre

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
An update of the progress and pictures of servicing.So the hacking mechanisms have been restored by Matt Henning in the US and have been serviced by Ronald Prins in The Netherlands ( Klokken Atelier Cothen ). I can just recommend these two watchmakers further.

Pictures custody of Ronald Prins.

First series of photos, vintage Glycine Combat:

P1130944 (Small).JPG

Rotor removed:

P1130946 (Small).JPG

P1140057 (Small).JPG

The hacking mechanism of the Combat:

P1130949 (Small).JPG

P1130952 (Small).JPG

P1130962 (Small).JPG

Cleaned and lubricated properly,ready to tick and hack for many more decades.

The vintage Glycine Airman:

DSC07244 (Small).JPG

P1140015 (Small).JPG

P1140019 (Small).JPG

The hacking mechanism:

P1140025 (Small).JPG

P1140026 (Small).JPG

P1140058 (Small).JPG

P1140088 (Small).JPG

The SST coming soon....

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An old-timer, its story and will to live:

Keywords: Vietnam Conflict, airman-pilot, shut down, rescued, forgotten in drawer, heirloom, watch botchered, Glycine Heritage, come back to life progress....

9 (Small).JPG

coming soon....

·
Registered
433 Posts

Keywords: Vietnam Conflict, airman-pilot, shut down, rescued, forgotten in drawer, heirloom, watch botchered, Glycine Heritage, come back to life progress....

View attachment 2774786

coming soon....
Look forward to seeing this Emre, the watch looks well hamered, not keen on that bracelet though - is it original?

Reactions: Emre

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Stephen,sorry for my late reply, was away for a trip and hate posting through phone.

Bracelet is after-market,not original.To my knowledge these Airman models came whether with fixo-flex bracelets with curved end-links or leather straps.

Will update once it goes to Spa,I guess it will come out pretty nice.The F692N movement is in much better shape than the case so a new crystal,crown set,some cleaning and polishing,re-storing hacking mechanism, servicing the movement will do the job.We will have one more ticking and hacking vintage Airman for next generations;)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

9.JPG

coming soon....
Finally it's his turn and some progress:

Case was rusty inside and out. Has been cleaned thoroughly. Hacking mechanism main features were in the case but rusted will be also restored.

P1150006 (Small).JPG

P1150056 (Small).JPG

Crystal is being polished from rust and scratches,want to keep the original crystal if it can be pressure fit to 3 atm at least

P1150015 (Small).JPG

P1150016 (Small).JPG

Movement was in good shape though, has been disassembled and each part cleaned and oiled.Son of a biscuit works pretty well:)

P1150062 (Small).JPG

P1150060 (Small).JPG

P1150061 (Small).JPG

I didn't decide on the hands re-lume yet, will discuss with Ronald, rust will be cleaned for sure on metal surfaces but I might keep the rusty lume,it's kind of cool :)

P1150024 (Small).JPG
( Pictures: custody of Ronald Prins,watchmaker )

Now the main crown, clamp crown and metal base will be installed, waiting for spare parts arrival.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Nice job Emre! Where did you get this Airman? Any history behind the watch?
I've got it several months earlier from the good old bay. It was maybe not very cheap but still acceptable amount of $$ paid due to box and papers.Generally I develop communication with the sellers after payment, so they won't try to inflate things they may know about the timepieces they are selling.According to him, his late father bought the watch in the US and left to Vietnam.

I am cautious about stories like that but also never saw a soo much rusty Airman before. So it may be true that it saw some action and water/or extremely humid jungle and then was left somewhere for a long time.

I think in a few weeks it will be ready to share a post restoration photo.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So,the above beauty!!! is back from Spa.

While the movement and all necessary moving parts have been cleaned and adjusted I decided to keep it's age related signs on the hands.This way it can still tell its story while ticking away very healthy and on time.It justified all the time and effort spent on it since it had also box and papers.

DSC09063 (Medium).JPG

DSC09046 (Medium).JPG

The early Airman collection is nearly complete - well, not really,still missing AOPA dial and civilian version Airman :

DSC09073 (Medium).JPG

Thank you Ronald, thank you Matt. It would have never happened without you guys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Emre,

What a lovely set all four together and on very nice straps.
It was very much my pleasure to work on these watches and give them the SPA treatment.

Enjoy your family!

Ronald

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our community is expanding with skilled people joining our circles.

I am happy to report that another experienced watchmaker, James Sadilek, will take care of servicing vintage Glycine Airman watches in the USA.As you may have seen in previous posts, Matt Henning ( who doesn't service watches due to his heavy manufacture tempo of various premium vintage parts so as repeater gears,hands and American watch parts ) cooperates with James Sadilek for having our beloved vintage gems serviced. James is based in Nevada and accepts jobs across the country. Understandably there may be scheduled work and contacting for a service schedule would be advised.

You may approach James directly through his website: Servicing Glycine Airman Watches Hack Device

He already has worked on several vintage Airman watches and feedback is superb. With James, our CONUS Team is complete.

While Ronald Prins takes care of continent Europe, now it's time to find a watchmaker based in Asia/Australia for our vintage Airman friends from Indonesia, Australia, Singapore, Japan and Brunei.

Will update further. Hats off to these skilled gentlemen.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Our community is expanding with skilled people joining our circles.

I am happy to report that another experienced watchmaker, James Sadilek, will take care of servicing vintage Glycine Airman watches in the USA.As you may have seen in previous posts, Matt Henning ( who doesn't service watches due to his heavy manufacture tempo of various premium vintage parts so as repeater gears,hands and American watch parts ) cooperates with James Sadilek for having our beloved vintage gems serviced. James is based in Nevada and accepts jobs across the country. Understandably there may be scheduled work and contacting for a service schedule would be advised.

He already has worked on several vintage Airman watches and feedback is superb. With James, our CONUS Team is complete.

While Ronald Prins takes care of continent Europe, now it's time to find a watchmaker based in Asia/Australia for our vintage Airman friends from Indonesia, Australia, Singapore, Japan and Brunei.

Will update further. Hats off to these skilled gentlemen.
Friends,

My thanks to Emre for his kind words. On the web site for the page Emre quotes, there are three pages devoted to Glycine Airman along with an index page. On the home page is a "Glycine" menu button that points to the Glycine index page.

Over the years, I have collaborated with Matt Henning on various repair/restoration projects. As the result of my servicing an early Airman (Felsa 692) for a client of Matt's, Matt connected me with Emre. I am happy to respond to repair inquiries.

Kind regards,
James Sadilek

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
James, welcome to WUS, great to have you here within the largest watch enthusiasts' community.

Now since you and Ronald both are active members here,I am sure we will benefit from your vast knowledge in technical aspects within other threads too.

Best wishes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts