WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A) I usually don't 'start' feature threads and

B) when I do start threads they are usually super long and detailed tirades or convoluted yarns. But in celebration of my acquisition of the '61 Zodiac GMT and the fact the watch I have had the longest, has been in the family since new and pretty well sought after now-after years and years of obscurity and considered the low-man on the rolex totem pole:

"63 GMT:

"61 Zodiac (probably put out by Zodiac after the Pan-Am commissioned GMT to get some of the 'jet-age' market):

I only have the 2 GMT's and I also have a 'world-timer' which is only really a bezel gimmick and not a complication. I imagine that some collectors out there focus on GMT complications but if they do-I haven't seen much from them here on WUS. I would like to see some examples other then the 'usual' suspects.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
A 63 GMT that is awesome. wow

I have about 6 GMT watches, it is my favorite complication, here is a 98 GMTII - 100% original Pepsi Dial.

And a Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie GMT

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Number 3
Silver Cushion Shaped Dubey and Schaldenbrand - GMT has a 24 hour indicator for day and night

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really wanted to like this Zodiac GMT. Alas, my watchmaker could not repair its little heart....

Now for travel I wear my Buzz Aldrin-signed Bulova Astronaut with the really solid ETA 2893-2.
Aw. What so wrong he couldn't fix? I see a couple a loner movements for sale. Or is it a cost vs. gain issue. [I know-for a watch that was literally LEGENDARY when I was a kid and all my older friends or their older brothers were shipping out to VNAM they either talked about the Zodiac SW-or-they came him with one and said it was 'better then the clunkers they issued' -it certainly doesn't seem to have the same kind of cache it once had. Still very respectable and admired but there just isn't the same buzz around a '60 aerospace as there is a '60 GMT master. Rolex always was a brilliant marketing company.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah what was so wrong with your zodiac? If the movement ticks and the hands aren't moving then it's likely a cannon pinion issue which is a common problem for these movements. The movement in these uses an offset cannon pinion which commonly breaks or loosens if they haven't been maintained well. There are new ones for sale on ebay for a little over $100 if i remember correctly. They are a rare part and therefore priced accordingly.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Thanks guys, It's been about 3.5 years since I owned that watch, so the details are a bit fuzzy. The fellow I sent it to was Chronodeco, so when he tells me it was unfixable I trust him. Honestly, I don't remember what the issue was.
I ended up selling it for parts, so I know it went to help other Aerospace watches keep running.
~D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts