WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm biding on a watch that I like and think it looks interesting. My question is did Hamilton ever us a HENO Automatic movement in any of their watches?
I'm guessing that the watch is a HENO watch with a Hamilton crown.

I couldn't find much on the HENO watch company other than it was founded around the late '50s, but I could be wrong. So before I bid too much on this watch I was hoping I could get a little more info from you all.

I have a feeling that someone needed a replacement crown and just through on a Hamilton. I've tried finding other Hamilton mystery watches like it but can't find anything. I've also tried looking for HENO mystery watches and can't find anything also. I'm guessing it could be a Frankenstein watch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hello,

I'm biding on a watch that I like and think it looks interesting. My question is did Hamilton ever us a HENO Automatic movement in any of their watches?
I'm guessing that the watch is a HENO watch with a Hamilton crown.

I couldn't find much on the HENO watch company other than it was founded around the late '50s, but I could be wrong. So before I bid too much on this watch I was hoping I could get a little more info from you all.

I have a feeling that someone needed a replacement crown and just through on a Hamilton. I've tried finding other Hamilton mystery watches like it but can't find anything. I've also tried looking for HENO mystery watches and can't find anything also. I'm guessing it could be a Frankenstein watch.
Yes, according to Mikrolisk the company was registered in 1950 by E. Kirchhofer in Interlaken. I doubt that Heno made their own movements, they would have used perhaps ETA, AS, ESA?. There is a stamp underneath the balance, get the seller to either supply a better photo of this area or simply ask them to email you the movement details. I think you're right about the crown.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the face of the watch. He claims it runs and keeps time, but that the Pinwheel is don't moving so it will need a little work. I emailed him yesterday to see if I could get a few more pics, but I'm thinking if I end up winning this watch it may not be very valuable and not worth fixing.

I got a little too enthusiastic about the watch before doing more research.

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,159 Posts
The watch has an Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1700 or related movement:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1700

Ranfft has an extensive (although not exhaustive) list of Hamilton calibres and the ones they used after ca. 1960 when they started to depend on Swiss movements do not include many AS movements and certainly not this one. Also, their movements don't seem to show any stamps like on this movement (A 33444 - otherwise only the rotor might have been replaced). I would therefore conclude that the watch is probably either a Frankenwatch or that merely the crown has been taken from a Hamilton watch and added to this one. Does the case back show any inscription that might link the watch to Hamilton?

Hartmut Richter

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
The watch has an Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1700 or related movement:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 1700

Ranfft has an extensive (although not exhaustive) list of Hamilton calibres and the ones they used after ca. 1960 when they started to depend on Swiss movements do not include many AS movements and certainly not this one. Also, their movements don't seem to show any stamps like on this movement (A 33444 - otherwise only the rotor might have been replaced). I would therefore conclude that the watch is probably either a Frankenwatch or that merely the crown has been taken from a Hamilton watch and added to this one. Does the case back show any inscription that might link the watch to Hamilton?

Hartmut Richter
I agree with this. There's very little to connect this watch to Hamilton. Just a spare crown from a watchmaker's drawer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update!!

So the sell was unable or unwilling to send me new pictures. Needless to say, I was not happy, but it is partly my fault for not researching before I bid. I Googled NOHE watch's and watch movements. They looked just like the one on the posting, and in the EU they go for a high price. Still, the watch company started in the '50s and it was a hit until quart kicked in and they got taken over and became just part of a bigger company. I'm guessing their 50's and 60's watches were good before they got taken over.

All that to say, another bidder place a bid and now I'm free of a watch I would have regretted owning.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts