WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
It is indeed a very good film. Its been linked to before in here, but not recently. I actually have it on DVD (somewhere) which I bought off ebay before I knew I could watch it for free.:-d

This is a 1953 newsreel of an Australian watchmaker at work. Very short - sorry about the ad at the start.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=47547

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Hamilton produced at least two documentary films in the late 1940's. These were produced by an outfit called the Jam Handy Organization. From the look and feel of these films, they must have produced a lot of educational films for schools in the years following WWII.

One of the films is linked above, here is the other one:

Wristwatch Cinema: Hamilton’s “What Makes a Fine Watch Fine”, 1947 – I Already Have a Watch.

I've seen people selling DVD's of these films on eBay when they are avaliable for free on the 'net whenever you want to see them.

Moderators, perhaps this post should be copied over the reference section?

Take care,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hamilton produced at least two documentary films in the late 1940's. These were produced by an outfit called the Jam Handy Organization. From the look and feel of these films, they must have produced a lot of educational films for schools in the years following WWII.

One of the films is linked above, here is the other one:

Wristwatch Cinema: Hamilton’s “What Makes a Fine Watch Fine”, 1947 – I Already Have a Watch.

I've seen people selling DVD's of these films on eBay when they are avaliable for free on the 'net whenever you want to see them.

Moderators, perhaps this post should be copied over the reference section?

Take care,
gatorcpa
Make a fine watch fine. Fabricated on fine machines that make fine watches. I think I get it now. Hamilton makes really fine watches. Great little video. Thanks for the link. It's amazing how much waste went into making a watch in those days.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you referring to lack of lean manufacturing principles?
Yes, I probably should have worded it better. When they were highlighting the details of the manufacturing process, how steel was alloyed into Ellinvar Extra to make hairsprings, they used a 1/2 ton of output per year to make 25 lbs of Ellinvar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts