WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a vintage Omega Seamaster. Looking at Seamaster 600, with serial number in the 20,000,000-21,000,000 range (targeting 1963 some dBs say only 20xxxx, while others say 20xxx and 21xxx). Cal 611.

I've found a couple of watches that peak my interest, unfortunately on the Bay. There's a lot to choose from. Most have pictures of the movements, which look legit to my unsophisticated eye. Some are pretty clean looking.

General question: What should I look for, and look out for? How can I tell if the dial and/or hands have been replaced, or if it's original or not?

Specific question: one I'm interested in says, "Last service unknown" and loses 1min/day. How much would it cost to have a watch from this era serviced by Omega? Should I go to an independent watchmaker for service?

Would anybody be willing to look at specific listings and give me their honest opinion?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some are Cal 601. And maybe 600 too. You can tell I'm new to the vintage game.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Buy the seller and you have to ask what's important to you...i.e. do you want Omega replacement parts or does that not matter? Vintage pieces also get tricky as far as water resistance and function are concerned.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, here's a question. I'm trying to educate myself on vintage Omega, and have been reading a lot, but it's not easy. Here's a photo of a caseback that looks incorrect:

Did Omega ever produce Seamaster engraved casebacks like that?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you think about the condition of this dial? The seller made modest attempts to clean it. How difficult would it be to clean, or would it be too hard?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts