WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't know if this belongs here. I'm between the Vintage forum and the Affordables forum...
I just got my "new" HMT Sona from India and I just wanted to share some pictures with all of you.
I love the watch but I can't use it right now because I was stupid enough to pop the front out (the glass with the ring around it) and now I can't put it back into place. Have to take it to my watchmaker for a look.
So, here are the unboxing pictures:

View attachment 389768
Well packaged

View attachment 389769
And well protected for the trip

View attachment 389771
Very well protected!

View attachment 389772
Still more packaging...

View attachment 389773
Finally got to the watch!

View attachment 389774
Here it is! Beautiful texture golden dial with golden case.

View attachment 389775
Wrist shot. It's a nice dress watch. And in mint condition. Even the strap is original but I think I'll change it. It's a very thin leather and not very good.

View attachment 389777
Finally, a back shot. I'm very happy with the piece and with the seller. It was fast and swift.
And all for $17 with international free shipping. Can't go wrong with it....

·
Registered
656 Posts
The HMT Sona is pretty durable and the polycarbonate face has some good flex to it. Position the Ring and Crystal back where it needs to go, place a piece of tissue paper under the watch and on top of the face and then give it a firm, gentle press between the centers of your hands. It should all snap right back together securely. I took mine off on purpose and put it back on again in this manner with no problems.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,952 Posts
The gold Sona is a definite classic dress watch, and probably the only genuinely traditional dress style mechanical available in the 'affordable' price range. Great stuff!

I thought with my Janata and Pilot I had the fundamental HMT models covered, but I'm starting to reconsider.

·
Registered
591 Posts
WOW I Love HMT Sona(Gold), Specially it's guilloche dial center, this is also one of the best sellers of HMT.

No this is not vintage, you can still buy a new Sona.

The HMT Sona is pretty durable and the polycarbonate face has some good flex to it. Position the Ring and Crystal back where it needs to go, place a piece of tissue paper under the watch and on top of the face and then give it a firm, gentle press between the centers of your hands. It should all snap right back together securely. I took mine off on purpose and put it back on again in this manner with no problems.
Thanks for a very useful tip for fitting crystal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dbajpai: PM sent.

Appophylite: I tryed your advice but I must have made something wrong. I ended up bedding the seconds hand. Now I do have to visit the watchmaker. But it keeps beating strong! It´s a very resistant machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks great
I just had a look at your caseback and found no number on it. There are duplicate Sona watches in Indian market which hardly differ from original. Original watches always have a number at the back which is probably the batch no. since I have seen in a shop at least five watches with the same no. The instructions the other member gave about the crystal are absolutely correct and it is quite possible that crystal not fitting coz watch might be fake though from pics the watch looks original to be frank!
Don't let anyone meddle with it too much just ask your seller first from whomsoever you bought!

·
Registered
3 Posts
is there an online place where I can buy a sona with white or black dial with warranty of course. Could not find one even in HMT showroom?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I just had a look at your caseback and found no number on it. There are duplicate Sona watches in Indian market which hardly differ from original. Original watches always have a number at the back which is probably the batch no. since I have seen in a shop at least five watches with the same no. The instructions the other member gave about the crystal are absolutely correct and it is quite possible that crystal not fitting coz watch might be fake though from pics the watch looks original to be frank!
Don't let anyone meddle with it too much just ask your seller first from whomsoever you bought!
His watch does have the caseback no. 5 04 005. It looks genuine to me.

is there an online place where I can buy a sona with white or black dial with warranty of course. Could not find one even in HMT showroom?
Where in India are you located? The Sona White and Black both are available in plenty at the Mumbai HMT showroom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts