WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was hoping the veterans could shed some light on a nice vintage IWC that my fiancee inherited from a relative who was a watchmaker. It is in working condition and has supposedly been regularly serviced the past decades except for the last five years when it has been unused.

I think it's a beautiful piece and given the connection with family something she intends to wear often. I will do a bit of testing to ascertain the daily gain/loss and try to find a watchmaker who could open it up and give us a look at the movements condition. A quick google led me to believe it could be an early model Portuguese but I am not certain.

Until then any information you can give on model, year, movement etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Don't know too much about IWC, but I've seen a few of them.

I think this is a Cal 88. Here is some more information:

bidfun-db IWC_88: IWC 88

This style of the watch was made from the 1940's to the 1960's with very little change. Without serial number information, it would be difficult to narrow the range any further.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Premium Member
13,540 Posts
gatorcpa is right check what is the serial number of your iwc then send an email requesting IWC to know more about your watch Vintage IWC calibres are of the highest quality.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying both of you. About the serial number, I can't see anything on the outside of the case i guess that means i would have to check for numbers on the movement?

·
Premium Member
13,540 Posts
Thanks for replying both of you. About the serial number, I can't see anything on the outside of the case i guess that means i would have to check for numbers on the movement?
yes that is correct

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help.

I noted it runs 10 seconds slow per day which i think is great considering the apparent age. Could it be an older Portuguese? I am a bit reluctant to crack it open unless i have to but maybe thats the only way to find out more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As other have said it is likely to be a calibre 88 movement and you will only know by opening up the case and checking the movement number. If it hasn't been serviced for yonks I would recommend a service by a competent watchmaker. Get him to record the movement details and any markings on the inside of the case back. Ask him for a peek inside before you get it back.

Cheers from the cellar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts