WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In my opinion, the numbering on the watch dial is reflective of that on the modern Max Bill, but the fact that the watch has a sub dial is throwing me off. Is it that perhaps at the time this watch was made there was no "Max Bill" edition? Perhaps Junghans used Max Bill's numbering, but did not recognize the watch as being a "Max Bill" specifically?

I also happened across the following link that I believe shares similarities to the watch pictured in the above post.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Rwodl

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,427 Posts
Not a Max Bill imho.

Junghans Max Bill did not use dauphine hands.
The J93 movement was not encased in Max Bill watches, no small seconds either.
Max Bills were either gold-plated or stainless steel. The pictured one is chrome-plated brass as indicated by back engraving:“stainless steel back".
Lugs were shorter and curved down at tad more.
Max Bill dials were imprinted with „Junghans Design“, „Junghans“, „Junghans Meister“ or „Junghans Automatic“. No jewels print.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike & barutanseijin,

Thank you for the information. One more question. Any idea then as to which Junghans model this particular watch may be? Thank you.

Jake

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I discovered the following website that contains a photo of a watch very similar to the watch pictured in the above photos. This article states much the same thing as Mike stated in his previous thread. (Thank you Mike.)

https://www.junghans-vintage.de/en/diverses/max-bill/max-bill.html

The J93 is said to be one of the better movements from Germany during its time, but the above pictured watch is definitely not a Junghans Max Bill. Case solved.

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,427 Posts
Most watches at those times had no model names, however exceptions prove the rule.

·
Registered
321 Posts
As you figured, it’s not a Max Bill, i.e it’s not a watch fully designed by Max Bill. However, the font for the numerals quite obviously reuses the font designed by Max Bill. This is perhaps not surprising as material design rights for the font were probably transfered to Junghans when Bill designed for them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts