WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I got myself a lovely vintage Junghans Trilastic and I was wondering whether you think this belonged to the Max Bill line.
There are a few clues that makes me think it could be so, such as the dial and hands design, and the mechanical J84/S movement. The watch itself has a diameter of 34mm.
However, I'm not entirely sure the fact that "Trilastic 17 jewels" would have appeared on a true original Max Bill.
I attached a few pictures so that you can have a clearer idea of what I'm talking about.
Please let me know what you guys think, and whether this could be called an original Max Bill or not.
Cheers!
Loïc
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property Eyewear Glasses Vision care Photography Nail clipper

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looks more like a homage nice watch nevertheless

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's neither a homage nor a Max Bill designed Junghans. A nice watch, though, but let me just delineate what sets it apart from a Max Bill as I happen to have one that is similar to your Trilastic.

I will focus just on handwinders without numerals as this is the closest match.
1. Size: 34mm is the correct size for Max Bill.
2. Movement: J84 is also the correct movement for handwinding Max Bills.
3. Case: That's where the differences start: Max Bills were either gold-plated or stainless steel. Yours is chrome-plated ("stainless steel back" gives it away). Lugs are also different on Max Bills (see pic below).
4. Dial: Max Bill has markers for each minute, yours only has 5 minute indexes. The lume balls are also different -- Max Bills have balls of lume at 3, 6, 9 and 12 (2 at 12). And none of Max Bills were released in Trilastic line as far as I know. They were marked either "Junghans", "Junghans Meister" or "Junghans Design" (and "Junghans Automatic" for automatics).

Nevertheless, enjoy your watch, it's certainly a good one and the movement is very much underappreciated.

P.S.: Here's my duo for comparison:
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

1 - 6 of 6 Posts