WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! i love the watch too!
I don't have the tools to open it up at this moment (ordered, coming :) ), but as you know most watch guy can't really wait to know more about a certain time piece right? hehe

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Late 50s-early 60s. The date-at-12 makes it a bit more desirable then a plain dial (which I have) but it is for sure a classy watch. At this time in its history Longines certainly surpassed rolex in terms of pure style and class (to the general watch buying public-NOT to wis's here!) Although not chronometer rated-it is probably closest in category to the Omega Constellation. It obviously was the heyday of gold back medallions which Longines one-upped Omega Eterna and a few others by applying green enamel. (and the slid gold cased models got a starburst and deep blue enamel. The medallions are highly coveted by collectors now with the biggest premium paid for medallions that have ALL their enamel intact. (op's has only a bit.) And some sellers remove all traces and act as if it was always a plain gold medallion.

But congrats on a classy watch. This is the ONLY watch that ever got a compliment like :"Don't sell that! Its much classier then a date just!" (it wasn't my exact opinion but I certainly started to appreciate it more. Attention to detail and build quality is supreme. Another Swiss mechanical in the golden age of Swiss watchmaking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, so i finally opened the case back and it is a Cal. 294. Did some reading and apperantly it is a solid cal with little issue!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Hi all, so i finally opened the case back and it is a Cal. 294. Did some reading and apperantly it is a solid cal with little issue!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Take photos of the movement showing serial number and caseback inside showing the numbers in there.. then go to the Longines Company website and find the section about enquring about your watch.. they will be able to provide you with notes from their archives..

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
That's interesting, cal 294 isn't even in the Pink Pages. So a pic of the movement would definitely be welcome, and/or you could send a pic (or the whole watch) to Roland Ranfft.

As cal 294 normally should have power reserve indicator, this is probably a cal 291 that is marked 294 on the bridge: I read that Longines particularly made some Conquest's like that during the late 1950's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's interesting, cal 294 isn't even in the Pink Pages. So a pic of the movement would definitely be welcome, and/or you could send a pic (or the whole watch) to Roland Ranfft.

As cal 294 normally should have power reserve indicator, this is probably a cal 291 that is marked 294 on the bridge: I read that Longines particularly made some Conquest's like that during the late 1950's.
Hi Sempervivens, thanks for your information. Here are some internal pictures. IMG_0637.jpg IMG_0641.jpg IMG_0635.jpg

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
That's nice, looking good. Send the pictures or a pm to Roland, in case he didn't notice this thread. The first picture also shows the beginning of the serial: 11102.... dates it to 1959/60.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts