WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I found some interesting "too good to be true" deals on Ebay from sellers with 100% ratings on vintage watches, particularly a couple Longines. They all seem to be based in Ukraine. Any idea on the authenticity of these watches? Even if they are mish-mash "Frankenwatches", does anyone know how functional/reliable they are? Any help appreciated, thanks.

here are a couple that caught my eye:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-1910s-ERNE...ViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item20ae9d0ef0

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-1929-LO...ViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item35a5e9b3aa

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-RARE-1912-...ViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item20ae9d5073

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
All fakes, I'm told. I've been tracking watches from these guys for a long time, and have lusted after many. BUT...I've never seen those styles from any other seller. Why would every one of these old Swiss beauties be shacked up in the Ukraine? :think:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pacifichrono beat me to it, but I think they're almost all fakes (though they may well have a genuine one but I wouldn't stake my life on it). I've seen, recently, some very uninspired Ukrainian auctions which had 'vintage Omegas' and Doxas except they were West End Watch Co. dials (often with West End Watch. Co, Bombay still on the dial) with the 'Doxa' or 'Omega' painted on. Yet, sadly, people were bidding like mad on those.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Think this way:
How many Swiss watches were Exported to the former SSSR?

Correct. Not many.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks pacifichrono and thehistorian. i probably won't be buying these, they are tempting tough, particularly the borel.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Pacifichrono beat me to it, but I think they're almost all fakes (though they may well have a genuine one but I wouldn't stake my life on it). I've seen, recently, some very uninspired Ukrainian auctions which had 'vintage Omegas' and Doxas except they were West End Watch Co. dials (often with West End Watch. Co, Bombay still on the dial) with the 'Doxa' or 'Omega' painted on. Yet, sadly, people were bidding like mad on those.
Report all fakes found on eBay!! If we have discussed the watch, put the URL of the thread into your eBay report (that seems to cause a more careful inspection of the report).

eBay claims they are trying to get rid of fakes. Give them some help and see if they are serious or if it is just PR.

That said, I am amazed they allow these Ukrainian vendors to blatantly vend obvious fakes... but they keep selling fake watches month after month and eBay does nothing. It does make their anti-counterfeiting efforts to seem hollow... They should allow vendors to be reported and not just listings.

Anyway, our advice is hold onto your money!!

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
thanks pacifichrono and thehistorian. i probably won't be buying these, they are tempting tough, particularly the borel.
... that's the only one that I am positive is a fake. The other two might be real... but, as I have said before, only buy vintage Russian watches from Ukrainian vendors -- they have access to enough genuine Russian watches that paying someone to produce fakes of them is not economical.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,806 Posts
I can't get at the third one - access blocked from Germany "possibly for legal reasons". Which says it all, really. I suspect that the other two are "originally original", meaning that they started life as perfectly genuine watches (Borel & Longines) but were heavily tampered with along the way. The skeletizing job on the Borel is very crude but the movement looks OK (something by Cortebert or Unitas?!). The Longines has obviously been recently converted to a "regulateur" - as I have stated on the Zenith forum, I doubt that there are any original "regulateur" wrist or pocket watches pre 1980s when Chronoswiss started the fad (oh, well, one day someone may come up with an example that proves me wrong on that one). There seem to be a lot of vintage regulateurs with pocket watch movements coming from the Ukraine.....

Hartmut Richter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts