WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hi all,

First post here. I found this watch in a drawer after my grandmother passed a few years ago. The case was scratched, the movement was stuck and there was no strap.

I took it to the amazing watch repairer at Piccadilly Circus tube station and he got it running for me.

I would love to know more about the watch as I'm a huge fan of all things mechanical (currently have a triumph spitfire, a 3 door range rover classic and an early renault 5).

My dad says that the initials on the back are those of my great-grandfather and EFCO was the company he built up and then sold (in 1955?).

The movement is 12.68Z and 17 jewels. The hallmarks confirm that it is from London, was made in 1954 and is 9ct gold. I don't know what the Baume 304 means though. Any ideas?

It's a really noisy movement, is this normal? I get a lot of complaints from my girlfriend about it. Also, how far should I wind it up? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The serial number on the movement dates production to 1953..

LONGINESSERIAL

What do you mean by 'noisy'? Are you referring to the loudness of the ticking or some movement inside the case when you are wearing it?

Did the watchmaker service the watch or just get it going for you?

I have a movement of the same type in my 1954 West End Watch and it is a very nice movement..

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts
it is a very good watch, just get it serviced and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Lovely watch as it all good make and memories a real keeper and worth a service when possible you have all the info Longines movement, gold case made by Baume Brothers of 9 Ashby Street, Clerkenwell London. Baume also had a long association with Mercier of course.

Sorry also forgot welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Baume also had a long association with Mercier of course.
That was a different Baume. Same family originally - but seperate companies by the time B & M was formed.;-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The serial number on the movement dates production to 1953..

LONGINESSERIAL

What do you mean by 'noisy'? Are you referring to the loudness of the ticking or some movement inside the case when you are wearing it?

Did the watchmaker service the watch or just get it going for you?

I have a movement of the same type in my 1954 West End Watch and it is a very nice movement..

Hi all,

Thanks for this! Nice to have a bit of backround info on the watch.

Regarding the noise, it's the ticking that is loud.

It was serviced about 4 years ago, then the strap broke and I had to have the balancing shaft? replaced after it hit a NYC subway floor. I had it serviced again a couple of months ago in France where I live. It was sent off by a local jeweller but I have no idea to where and what they did. It does keep better time now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts