WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this over on the Longines forum, but I'm not sure how well traveled that forum is, especially in terms of vintage pieces.

I’ve been looking to replace my Intra-matic with something more interesting. I like the Montblanc Heritage Ultra Slim, but there are some vintage pieces that look great as well. I ran across this Longines with a repainted dial that looks great, and is a nice 37mm size, but I don’t know much else about it. It runs a 2687 caliber movement supposedly, no photos though. Anybody have any info on the model name or a reasonable value? The price they have it listed at seems high, it's one of those online boutique type stores that sell vintage watches at sometimes insane prices (ala Hodinkee), and since I don't know the model I can't easily comparison shop it or find sales history.

71cc2a73493bb97f518abb8b70c9abff.jpg

4933a6048a43d49f01f37093ce18a496.jpg

30869530c31899dc38d25573e1b4d034.jpg

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's possible. I can't find any evidence that 2687 is either a Longines case number or caliber, that's just what they said in their listing. It's entirely possible it doesn't mean anything, I'm not sure where they got it and they don't have movement photos.

Are you sure that that's not a case number?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
That's possible. I can't find any evidence that 2687 is either a Longines case number or caliber, that's just what they said in their listing. It's entirely possible it doesn't mean anything, I'm not sure where they got it and they don't have movement photos.
The reason I ask is that Omega has a case number 2687.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I can tell, that number is jetsam that should be ignored, but I thought I'd mention it as it's about the only identifying piece of information they provide besides the 37mm case diameter and 18mm lug width.

The reason I ask is that Omega has a case number 2687.

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
As mentioned in the eBay listing, it is a re-dial. Not terrible, but still ... The most noticeable thing to me is the awkward meeting of the sub-dial and large circle near 6 o'clock.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. It's not a deal breaker for me if the price reflects it, but I've got no clue if that's the case. I'm iffy on vintage watches in general, but my experience is with other brands. I've got no bearings on Longines vintage, and they seem to be all over the place, and none of them seem to have associated model numbers that anybody ever mentions. It's all just 40s, 50s, 60s Longines.

As mentioned in the eBay listing, it is a re-dial. Not terrible, but still ... The most noticeable thing to me is the awkward meeting of the sub-dial and large circle near 6 o'clock.

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
The price definitely does not reflect the fact that this is a re-dial. As a rough rule of thumb, I would generally cut the price in half for a redial, compared to an original dial in excellent condition. And the asking price for this watch would be astronomical even if it were original. I'm not so aware of Longines prices, but my general sense is that they are certainly not more expensive than similar Omega models, with which I'm more familiar. You could get an amazing Omega jumbo 30T2 for less than this asking price. In fact, you might even get a chronometer grade 30T2Rg.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Dan. Comparing it to Omega prices was helpful.

The price definitely does not reflect the fact that this is a re-dial. As a rough rule of thumb, I would generally cut the price in half for a redial, compared to an original dial in excellent condition. And the asking price for this watch would be astronomical even if it were original. I'm not so aware of Longines prices, but my general sense is that they are certainly not more expensive than similar Omega models, with which I'm more familiar. You could get an amazing Omega jumbo 30T2 for less than this asking price. In fact, you might even get a chronometer grade 30T2Rg.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
atdegs...Hello. I can't resist asking: is there any chance that the minute hand was installed upside-down? The curve seems correct, but the base looks pretty rough, does it not? Michael.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure does. I think I'm going to pass on this one. Just too many warning signs and the price seems out of line, even if they bargain.

Currently checking out this Universal Geneve instead:
s-l1600.jpg

atdegs...Hello. I can't resist asking: is there any chance that the minute hand was installed upside-down? The curve seems correct, but the base looks pretty rough, does it not? Michael.

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Again, the dial has been touched up. It's not terrible, but the quality of the logo and tick marks, and the details of the font are not correct (the "G" is particularly noticeable and the accent over the "E" is misplaced). You would want to make sure it was priced correctly.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Odd number, but I had one similar and movement was the 12.68Z, but being that it's under the balance. They could only see 2687

Reason for not taking off the back is that there looks to be corrosion near the case and lugs in two spots. Removing the back could show more of that, so in their best interest to not show it.

That and you never buy a watch without a look at the movement condition

Surprised they didn't clean it up a little more with a case polish

You don't mention the price, but companies like this are looking for those customers with little knowledge and fat wallets

DON

1 - 14 of 14 Posts