WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I once again come back to this forum to get help from all the experienced collectors here.

I have just come across a nice vintage Longines that I am thinking of buying.
Something struck me as odd though: the case itself seems not to have the customary Swiss gold Helvetia hallmark, only the caseback.

Here is the watch in question: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LONGINES-FLA...257367?hash=item41bf0e43d7:g:MVwAAOSwZ8ZW~Yjk

Does anyone else find it odd that there are no hallmarks on the main body of the case?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I have an 18K Fortis that has the mark on the inside caseback. Nothing odd to me, at least.
The first one you show also has the poinçon de maître, The hammer head with 121 in it. That is the mark of Guillod Gunther SA

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
If there is a mark, it could be very small on the back of a lug. In this case, it looks like they did quite a lot of polishing, which could make the (hypothetical) mark even harder to see. The case seems legit to me. However, the hands seem quite short and the lume does not match on hands and dial.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
What worries me about the watch is not its case, this seems to be all good; I agree with Dan, that it's the lume and the polishing that's a reason for concern here. The price, for an overpolished watch with lume issues, is outrageous.

I wouldn't recommend that dealer, I've seen them sell redials and overpolished watches at idiotic prices before. One of these guys, who just can't help the urge to make too much use of a bloody Cape Cod cloth. His eBay store's logo photoshopped into a pic of a watch store, that's beyond crass.

The "buy the seller" rule disqualifies this one, methinks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What worries me about the watch is not its case, this seems to be all good; I agree with Dan, that it's the lume and the polishing that's a reason for concern here. The price, for an overpolished watch with lume issues, is outrageous.

I wouldn't recommend that dealer, I've seen them sell redials and overpolished watches at idiotic prices before. One of these guys, who just can't help the urge to make too much use of a bloody Cape Cod cloth. His eBay store's logo photoshopped into a pic of a watch store, that's beyond crass.

The "buy the seller" rule disqualifies this one, methinks.
Yes, I agree that the dial and the price are wacky. But what about the fact that the main bodies of the cases on the three watches above seem to have no hallmarks? Shouldn't all the parts of the watch case be hallmarked for Switzerland?

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Was just looking at my Fortis and it does have a mark between the lug at 6 o'clock and also one on the underside of the 11 o'clock lug. Small rectangle, even with a jewelers loop, I can't make out what's in them. Definitely something there though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts