WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the message below to an old post in Public Forum. I'm reposting it hear in hopes of getting help from the vintage experts.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

-hayday

I'm looking at getting a Mickey Mouse watch from my birth year, 1970. I've been able to find several pieces that claim to be from 1971, but I'm unable to find a definitive resource that can date the production year. I've scoured this forum and Google, but to no avail. Does anyone know of such a resource? Perhaps a serial number database?

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,003 Posts
These watches were made by Ingersoll and I am not sure whether they had a serial number system enabling the dating of their watches. Other than that, it would be down to exact references and the hope that one particular one was only made that year.....

The alternative would be the Gerald Genta version but that is from the 1990s - and rather more expensive!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Hartmut. I'm really hoping to get one from my birth year of 1970, but I suppose I could just pretend and tell people it's from 1970. I should have pointed out that the two watches in question are both Ingersoll/Timex. Based on the research I've done, everything about the watches looks right (meaning, the watches are likely to be from the time period the sellers claim) but I really want to have the birth year watch.

-hayday

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Thanks, Hartmut. I'm really hoping to get one from my birth year of 1970, but I suppose I could just pretend and tell people it's from 1970. I should have pointed out that the two watches in question are both Ingersoll/Timex. Based on the research I've done, everything about the watches looks right (meaning, the watches are likely to be from the time period the sellers claim) but I really want to have the birth year watch.

-hayday
Better to 'pretend' with a 1971 version.
That is very close and better vintage.

There are specialized books in these novelty pieces
A

Reactions: hayday

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Try commenting on this guys "show and tell" items on Collectors Weekly and ask any questions you like, he is always helpful and his Mickey Mouse knowledge knows no bounds.
Please mention my name and tell him hello!
kerry10456 | Collectors Weekly

Reactions: hayday

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a chance on one that claims to be from 1970. On the bright side, it looks very similar to other ones that also claimed to be from 1970.

-hayday

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Look for the Bradley time brand as well, that may get you there.

Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Look for the Bradley time brand as well, that may get you there.

Peace,
Preston
I was also going to suggest Bradley. I used to have two of them, one a digital and one analog. Can't help with the date info though.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,204 Posts
I took a chance on one that claims to be from 1970. On the bright side, it looks very similar to other ones that also claimed to be from 1970.

-hayday
If it's a Timex-branded watch then there should be a code on the bottom of the dial that will indicate the year.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
If it's a Timex-branded watch then there should be a code on the bottom of the dial that will indicate the year.
Just looked at the listing and the sellers states "The dial code gives a date of 1970"... which I was just about to ask about... but this seems to tie in with Chascomm's comments!

·
Banned
4,045 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've seen three listings that claim to be from 1970 and in all three the serial number is at the top of the dial, whereas the ones that simply state 1970s or any other specific year from the 1970s have the serial number at the bottom of dial. Based on this, I think the one I bought is, indeed, from 1970. Additionally, the listing I went with showed a picture of the inside of the case back with what appears to be a production date stamp of "11 9 70," which I take to be November 9, 1970. I think I'm in luck.

Thanks for all the help on this. Your comments confirmed all my research/suspicions and have given me a boost to my confidence.

-hayday

ps: the eBay link is here

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here it is! Here it is!

The watch came with the original leather strap and was essentially unwearable, but the watch itself is in very good condition. Thanks for the help and input.

-hayday

Mickey Mouse.jpg

Mickey Mouse 2.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts