WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, can someone help me identify this watch? It's a 14K gold manual wind Mido which was my great grandfather's. I apologize in advance for the poor pics!

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Pics of hallmarks and the movement would help a lot. This looks like a 40's watch from the dial and case but could be 10 years either side of that...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
This looks like a 40's watch from the dial and case but could be 10 years either side of that...
+1...looks mid-1940s. Mido was better known for the Multifort and the Powerwind (as I recall). Nice looking watch BTW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I'm attaching a couple of better pictures. There was no marking on the back of the case other than the 14K gold stamp (hopefully shows in the picture). I couldn't see the movement because the way the dial was attached(???). Sorry--pretty new to this.

It is a cool watch and has been in the family for a while. Unfortunately it looks pretty silly on me from a size/coloring perspective. I'm contemplating selling to contribute funds to something else which could have more long-term meaning to me. But seems pretty sacrilegious considering the family tie.

I'd curious if anyone has any strap recommendations as well.

photo 5.JPG photo 6.JPG

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Men's ties and wrist watches suffer from the same fashion trends - they get bigger or smaller ala mode. Your grandchildren may value it's small size... besides, it won't sell for a whole lot anyway. There is not that much gold in the cases.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I was impressed with an early Mido Multifort for its quality and ruggedness obtained cheaply from estate sale. Never knew the name although a long time collector so wrote an opinion story about it. Learned after doing so that they did have good reputation so disclosed publicly my ignorance about it, but my opinions at least were confirmed. Old Midos are fine watches.

mido  documents%20108.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts