WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in the early-mid 90's, some genius at Casio (or group of geniuses), thought of doing something different over in the Gshock division. Develop a line of all-metal Gshocks, what the hell, some in titanium even. Between 1996 and 2001 they output over 60 different MR-G's with a mix of digital, anadigi, and analog. A little more than half were titanium, the rest SS.
I wasn't in to G's back then, but I can imagine Gshock fans rejoicing (sort of like they do today with the chrome squares). When I started collecting G's, I don't even remember if I knew these existed. When I came across them for the first time I was mystified. What's this about a G with no resin? I was impressed though and when I got my grubby hands on one, I was hooked. One titanium filled case later here we are. I should mention I have no intentions on filling another case.

IMG_0977.JPG

Top: 100T, 110T, 120T, 121TS, 122
Middle: 130T, 130T, 131, 200T, 200T
Bottom: 210T, 210T, 220T, 1000T, 1001 (these are the model numbers on the caseback, too lazy to write out full model numbers). Some close ups:

100.JPG 110.JPG 120.JPG 121.JPG 122.JPG
130a.JPG 1304.JPG 131.JPG 200a.JPG 200.JPG
2109.JPG 210.JPG 130.JPG tac.JPG tac3.JPG

Several different caseback styles:

back.JPG back2.JPG back3.JPG back4.JPG back5.JPG back6.JPG back7.JPG

Some different clasp styles:

clasp1.JPG clasp2.JPG clasp3.JPG clasp4.JPG clasp8.JPG clasp9.JPG clasp11.JPG

While it's true that some MRG's were released after 2001, they weren't quite the same, or as plentiful. They began using plastic here and there, and they grew in size. I favor the originals. It was a special chapter in the Gshock timeline. One thing I plan on doing is using my recent sandpaper/diamond paste purchase to start cleaning these babies up. Feel free to show your classics. Have a good weekend, Ferg

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Truly stunning collection, Ferg. I've always admired your dedication to this subset of the brand. You're a true collector, man.

By the way, I think one of my MT-Gs weighs more than your entire collection of Ti beauties. :-d :-!

Reactions: Fergfour

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kubr1ck. Dedication, addiction, you know how it goes.
One benefit of titanium is the light weight. A 200T is around 100gm.

·
G-Shock Mod
13,943 Posts
Let me add a few to this thread for now :)

MRG-1100 Frogman ... best Frogman ever?

MRG-2000 ... looks like an UFO? LOL
and MRG-3000 ... I very much enjoy the look of having a small LCD at 3

My MRG-100 is the 30th Casio workers Union anniversary version

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Frog is a true G masterpiece from the same era. Forever on the lookout for one.
The 2000 and 3000 were 2-3 years after the 1996-2001 models. I like them of course although I would have preferred they didn't have the plastic bits around the sides of the case and parts of the bracelet.

·
G-Shock Mod
13,943 Posts
The Frog is a true G masterpiece from the same era. Forever on the lookout for one.
The 2000 and 3000 were 2-3 years after the 1996-2001 models. I like them of course although I would have preferred they didn't have the plastic bits around the sides of the case and parts of the bracelet.
I agree on the 2000 and 3000, they were "derived" from "GW" version so they have a lot of similarity.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
That is a fantastic collection of MRG's fergfour, love em! :-!

Reactions: Fergfour

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree on the 2000 and 3000, they were "derived" from "GW" version so they have a lot of similarity.
True, I used to have the GW1600tdj, which is almost identical to the 3000. Don't get me wrong they are still great watches but I prefer a "pure" all metal Mrg. What happened with me was the plastic had aged, and was worn/discolored while the metal of course still looked new. That might not happen to everyone, but with a 15+ year old watch it could if it's handled enough.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
True, I used to have the GW1600tdj, which is almost identical to the 3000. Don't get me wrong they are still great watches but I prefer a "pure" all metal Mrg. What happened with me was the plastic had aged, and was worn/discolored while the metal of course still looked new. That might not happen to everyone, but with a 15+ year old watch it could if it's handled enough.
I'm 100% with you on this. :-!

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a fantastic collection of MRG's fergfour, love em! :-!
Thanks spikey. Your MRG's are on a different level altogether! As much as I admire the newer MRG's, they are simply out of my price range. These oldies can be had for pocket change in comparison. Maybe when the kids are out on their own :)
There is a nostalgic allure these have on me. Maybe it's a midlife crisis thing...

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Great collection, Ferg! You really went to town on getting all the older MR-G variants. I almost followed the same route, but held back. I found that the MRG-220 appealed to me the most and I knew I wouldn't be inclined to wear the others. Mine is all steel, so it's quite heavy... but I rather like it. My only gripe is the lack of a CDT. Still can't fathom why they'd leave that useful feature off. The MRG-1100 is certainly the most attractive older MR-G, IMHO. Wish I could find a nice one for under $300 USD. So many out there have scratches... and the mint ones lately go for over $500 USD.

I have an MRG-1200T (RevMan), which I more or less admire rather than wear. Not yet sure if I'm going to keep it. The LCD digits are too small to be useful with lousy contrast and it annoys me.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Such a fantastic post Fergfour! Been admiring your MRG pickups piece by piece as you have acquired them. The collection together looks amazing. Especially fond of the 200T+210T+220T.

Great write-up. Thank you for sharing.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have an MRG-1200T (RevMan), which I more or less admire rather than wear. Not yet sure if I'm going to keep it. The LCD digits are too small to be useful with lousy contrast and it annoys me.
I know you have it xevious. No sense in keeping that annoying thing around...

1 - 20 of 153 Posts