WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

I just purchased this vintage Navitimer from a reputable seller on ebay and wanted to confirm the watch. Thank you in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
By no means an expert on these (or any other Breitling for that matter) but but I'm going to stick my neck out here and say; what's going on with those numerals running into the subdials? I have found one with a similar dial numbering layout but the numerals definitely don't do that. The numerals look a little 'scruffy' and poorly printed, the font also appears rather too elongated. Is it just me or does it look scrappy? I can't believe Breitling would let it out of the factory like that. Is the buckle an aftermarket thing?

The movement looks right though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Guvnav; yes the dial is something that caught my eye with this watch. I've done a fair amount of research but have not see one like this.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
well, this is what I wrote before I realised you had already bought that watch:
"absolute junk (as far as 806s go) - and a seller that currently has several outright Breitling fakes listed and sold recently. this one's good as a parts watch only, stay away."

it would have been good to ask before you buy - but that dial is one of the worst refinishings I've ever seen; if you can't get out of that purchase, you'll have to try to find a replacement for it, not an easy task.

sorry, but that's the sad truth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Fred; would you say the movement looks legit though? I got this watch relatively cheap, so there's room for a possible restore.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
movement is legit and correctly marked for a 1971 ref. 806. I just HATE that guy's descriptions:

THE WATCH ITSELF IS ALSO IN WONDERFUL CONDITION. THE DIAL IS THE VERY HARD TO FIND BREITLING "B" DIAL. NOT SURE IF IT'S BEEN TOUCHED UP BUT LOOKS TO BE ORIGINAL."

:roll:

yes, a dial like this is truly "hard to find"; sliderule is incorrect too, btw., refinished & wrong for any 806 after 1967.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Got you; unfortunately I came across these type of validation forums post purchase, but sometimes that's the way life works; looking at the sellers feedback gave me a false security. I'm glad there are Breitling experts such as yourself that help out the casual collector.

Would you have anyone that you can recommend for a dial rebuild? I'm not sure what else I'll need as far as hands, band, and the plexi dome.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
no way to "rebuild" that dial - you'll need a replacement dial that you will have to try and source yourself (they do come up on ebay, though you'll want to make sure you get the correct dial for a 1971 - i.e. a twin plane w/ red accents); there are NO good refinished dials for Navitimers (the closest are from an artisan in Barcelona, but he charges $400+) - only Breitling themselves and the Heists of horologicalservices.com have factory replacement dials available, but only sell these in combination w/ a complete service, waiting times 9 months and more, costs approaching $2k.

hands are correct, just incorrectly painted; the plexi is a minor issue, perfect replacements available for around $20 ("Sternkreuz M", if your watchmaker doesn't know)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fred,

My last question on this I promise:)
What about the the the plexi dome/crown/case/back case? What are your thoughts?

Again thank you soooo much!! You're truly a savior on these forums. I'll have another post here shortly titled "Chronomaut from Italy " that when you have a chance pls comment on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fred,

(Posted this in the other chat but you may not be watching that one)

I wanted to ask you, what's your background with Breitling? You're very knowledge in this space, how did you get here if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
well, this is what I wrote before I realised you had already bought that watch:
"absolute junk (as far as 806s go) - and a seller that currently has several outright Breitling fakes listed and sold recently. this one's good as a parts watch only, stay away."

it would have been good to ask before you buy - but that dial is one of the worst refinishings I've ever seen; if you can't get out of that purchase, you'll have to try to find a replacement for it, not an easy task.

sorry, but that's the sad truth.
I'm pleased this was the case....it just confirmed my initial thoughts too.
Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah unfortunately in life you're either smart or lucky;in this case I'm neither.. Lesson learned with Ebay is not to trust the sellers feedback alone.

Andy, Fred,

What would you say a 1971 true original (non fraken) would go for ?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Check out some completed sales/auctions for a good current market guide. There are quite a few to choose from so that should give you a good indication.
Cheers,
Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts