WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just purchased a vintage Nivada. Looks like I have found my favourite brand as I already have a Chronomaster. This time the internet seems not to provide too much information on the watch (in contrary to famous Chronomaster series and some other models). All I know that it runs an ETA 2789 25j automatic movement. If anyone has any other information, for example model name, production years etc. I would be happy to hear.

cheers,
Vesa

Attachments

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hi

Did this somehow answer my question? Nice that you like Nivadas though.

Vesa
It may not have answered your question, and perhaps this model of Nivada does not have a name. To determine if it does, sometimes you need to see the movement, and there are also clues to determining the model name on the case back. From your single photo, I can determine that it is a Nivada automatic, some type of sport model, dating from the late 1960's to mid 1970's. My best guess since I do not collect Nivada's, is that it is an Aquamatic Sport.
Regards,
G

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Sir.

The name Aquamatic was a good hint, as even it doesn't get a full hit on web searches, it brings up some Nivada and Croton watches closely resembling this watch. So untill someone shows up with better name, I will call it Nivada Aquamatic Sport. Maybe a pre-production, or end of the line watch, not too many around I think. What is interesting, that the design of the watch shows similarity with Rolex Datejusts of the 70's with the fluted bezel and full stainless steel looks. I will post more photos when I get the watch from service.

Thanks,
Vesa

It may not have answered your question, and perhaps this model of Nivada does not have a name. To determine if it does, sometimes you need to see the movement, and there are also clues to determining the model name on the case back. From your single photo, I can determine that it is a Nivada automatic, some type of sport model, dating from the late 1960's to mid 1970's. My best guess since I do not collect Nivada's, is that it is an Aquamatic Sport.
Regards,
G

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found out that this watch might be a Nivada Rising Sun (or maybe it is just a retailers "name for the watch") or Nivada (or Croton) Aquamatic Sport. Both are almost the same as my watch. Quite confusing when you get different names for same "family" of watches...
The forum rule of number of posts unfortunately rejected my links to the watches.

Vesa

·
Registered
117 Posts
So while we are on the topic...I am home for the (Lunar New Year) holidays in Australia. My mother just wandered down the hall and said 'hey, you like watches, this was your grandpa's...is it any good?'

I had never heard of Nivada. My grandfather passed away in 1990, and this has apparently been sitting in my mother's drawer since my grandmother's passing in 2010. Walked down the hall, which gave it a good enough shake to get it running, and she second hand is moving along quite well already.

Any ideas what this is, whether it's worth keeping, or what it's worth to sell (if anything). My grandparents weren't particularly the kind of people that typically had Nice Things....

- Matt

IMG_20160209_092029.jpg

·
Registered
753 Posts
It is a very nice automatic, from the late 1960's, in the Croton line it would be called an Aquamatic, or Aquamatica in the Nivada line. They are quite popular, due to the fact that they are an automatic wind and waterproof.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got the watch from service. On the screw down back it states: "Compensamatic - Automatic Water and Shock Resistant - Stainless Steel", "68006" and a small Nivada logo N inside a shield. The watch seems to be practically unused with no wear marks and the lume is still glowing nicely.

Nivada-003-5.jpg

WP_20160227_003.jpg

WP_20160227_007.jpg
Regards,
G

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,148 Posts
That's a nice heirloom so congratulations. However, I wouldn't wear it too much if you aren't going to have it serviced by a professional as you risk damage. There won't be much lubricant left after all those years.....

Hartmut Richter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts