WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope they are not my auction i know i sound like a seller but i do not own them at all i just post those up just to give an example only
i ask this question because i am interested to get a zenith or omega vintage in ebay but i see the price ar so low i think maybe it is fake or their history of those watches in the early days are not good

i am noob in watches and thats why i post this forum to get to know why are they price in this region

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
All brands are cheap right after the auction is posted! Some are only 99 cents! Funny thing is, it being an auction, they tend to go up with time...:think:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I've been interested in acquiring a vintage piece or two (mainly diver watches). I'm not interested in particularly valuable pieces but am hesitant to take the plunge as I have no mechanical ability. Thus, I don't want to purchase something for $60 and have to pay a watchmaker that amount or double to get the watch running properly. With more expensive vintage pieces, where condition, rarity, etc. are critical to the actual value, I would definitely steer clear unless you have the proper knowledge to guide your purchasing decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but like the zenith ebay that i posted is running out of time and it is only 124 usd only i wonder is there a reason why it is so low?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
One, it's a very ordinary Zenith. Two, the hands are not original. Three, the indices have been repainted and badly at that. Four, the Zenith star logo has fallen off and is rattling around under the crystal. Look closely, you can see it by the 3 o'clock marker. Does it still seem like a bargain?

·
Registered
561 Posts
but like the zenith ebay that i posted is running out of time and it is only 124 usd only i wonder is there a reason why it is so low?
I think you can see that this watch would need the attention of a watchmaker - if nothing else, he'd be able to stick the Zenith 'star' logo back on - it's fallen out and is currently resting against the 3 o'clock hour marker!

Additionally, many folks nowadays like larger watches and 36mm is considered rather small - I wouldn't purchase this watch for that reason. My Swatch looks small now in comparison with my other watches, and is considerably larger than this watch.

Go ahead and buy the Zenith but expect to pay a watchmaker more than the purchase price to set the watch to rights - and with vintage pieces like this one I hope you already have a competent watchmaker chosen for the job.

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,671 Posts
One, it's a very ordinary Zenith. Two, the hands are not original. Three, the indices have been repainted and badly at that. Four, the Zenith star logo has fallen off and is rattling around under the crystal. Look closely, you can see it by the 3 o'clock marker. Does it still seem like a bargain?
+1

A similar Zenith went off for 227.50. So wait for the last bid.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,340 Posts
nope they are not my auction i know i sound like a seller but i do not own them at all i just post those up just to give an example only
i ask this question because i am interested to get a zenith or omega vintage in ebay but i see the price ar so low i think maybe it is fake or their history of those watches in the early days are not good

i am noob in watches and thats why i post this forum to get to know why are they price in this region
OK. You really need to read about how to evaluate a used watch before considering the purchase of a used Omega, Zenith or other big name. By reading I mean read up on the history of the company and then start reading posts on the Zenith and Omega and Public forums on WUS. If you want to see a large collection of high quality watches for sale take a look at the Gisbert Joseph website. That will give you an idea of what used watches in excellent condition should look like.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I love the movement on the Zenith. Specially the rust ---oh, "patina" I mean!!!

The Omega lives in Singapore.
Redial by Omega? Looks way too fresh for a '66. Not even my wife (born '66) looks this good. Extensively restored.
(Not my wife, the watch!)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The only meaningful way to judge the values of watches on Ebay is to look at "Buy it Now" and "Completed Auctions" results.

Many people use sniping tools or manually snipe to bid on Ebay. The sniping tool I use places my bid in the last 20 seconds of the auction. Using the tool is a way to avoid getting into a price increasing bidding war. Since bids are placed in the last seconds of the auction, until the auction is done, the value of an item isn't really set.

Lastly, the idea of buying a vintage watch on Ebay that won't need service is naive in my opinion. It is really tough to tell whether a watch has been serviced recently, correctly serviced or will need service soon. I regularly see vintage watches characterized as running accurately or as recently serviced as plus or minus a minute or two over 24 hours. Any decent watch made since the 50s should be capable of much more accuracy when properly running in my experience. Frankly I often buy watches which clearly need service rather than buy ones purported to be running fine. They sell for less and since I expect to have my watchmaker service anything I buy anyway, they end up being a better deal. Net, net unless you know the seller is completely trustworthy and uses a good watchmaker, assume any vintage watch you buy needs service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
then i would like to ask how much do u usually need to pay to get vintage watch to be serviced? and usually if u send this vintage watch for service how accurately will they be running after service? thanks a lot

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
then i would like to ask how much do u usually need to pay to get vintage watch to be serviced? and usually if u send this vintage watch for service how accurately will they be running after service? thanks a lot
I pay $65 for service of any day/date automatic, but this is inexpensive. More typical rates are $100-125.

Find local watchmakers and visit their shops. They can be a good source for vintage watches. I generally avoid shops that send work out. Cheapest as always may not be best.

I expect +- 15s/day or better after a service, depending on the quality of the movement.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The nature of your questions makes it clear that you have a bit to learn here. So you'll get it serviced - it'll still have nonoriginal hands and badly painted indices, and I bet the star won't get glued on straight. On the other hand, you could hang around a bit, learn a little about identifying a good buy in vintage, be patient and score a nice watch that you could take pleasure in for years. Mind you, I'm speaking from personal experience here. I bought my share of dogs before understanding what I was doing (there is some question whether I understand what I am doing even now:think:). Maybe there's no way to avoid that, though.....there's no way to understand "craptastic" unless you buy "craptastic." Chalk up the expense to tuition!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha thanks for the reply guys
u guys are right that i should research first before buying and shall research them on those subforum hahaha

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Or you can do what I do. I only buy vintage watches from the well know vintage guys here. Yes, you may paid a little more but most of the leg work has been done and they are pretty up front with any problems and cocerns. Vintage watches can be a money pit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts